Dirt and soot on diesel engines

Previous topic - Next topic

Vic Suben

Has anyone found a convenient way to clean 25 years of dirt and soot from the exterior of a Universal diesel engine?

Vic
Vic
Surprise, Hull No. 453

Ron Hill

Vic : Sorry, but I can't help you with 25 years of dirt/soot.

People alway ask me how I keep my engine so clean?  My answer is, "don't let it get dirty"!!
Ron, Apache #788

Ralph Masters

Vic,
If it moves, salute it, if it don't, clean and paint it.   :rolling

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Stu Jackson

Vic, I have tried an engine degreaser from one of the auto stores.  I used it on our raw water pump when I redid the seals.  It didn't work all that well, required a lot of elbow grease, and also a lot of water to remove it.  Because of that I wouldn't recommend it or its type.  Read the instructions on whatever you buy, 'cuz if it's for a car, lots of water wouldn't hurt to clean it off, but on a boat...

My next try will be full strength Simple Green, which did a great job cleaning our 26 year old cockpit cushions.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Vic Suben

Do you think a pressure washer would work if the alternator is protected?
Vic
Surprise, Hull No. 453

Kevin Henderson

I would second Stu's recommendation on the simple green.  I have also used some citrus based cleaners that smell a little better.  But, the best advice is simply to sit down there, roll up your sleeves, put on some tunes and get a beverage handy and dig in with some good ole elbow grease, an old toothbrush for the tight spots, some green scouring pads and lots of rags.
"And you will become one with your engine" :roll:

Seriously though, I would not try a power washer or anything too aggressive.  Some things are better taken slowly and with hard work.   :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Les Luzar

I have used full strength Simple Green and a tooth bruch on my engine. Take your time and do little sections at a time. As you know, boat projects are never done. So I would tackle sections at a time until you are satisfied with the results of each section. Then start another section.
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

scotty

I've had good luck using engine degreaser, but not as directed.  I used small amounts  of the degreaser, and used lots of towels (I bought a box of blue paper mechanics towels).  I did a small area at a time.   Most of my work was wiping it off.  I bought several small wire brushes to get into tight spaces - but mostly used them to rub the towels into the spaces.  When the engine was nice and clean I then wiped it with wet towels to remove any residue.  When I was done it was very clean and did not smoke or smell when the engine was running.  I touched up the paint with a matching color spray (I think it was Unvivesal Gold, but can't remember the brand) which was a good color match, and has adhered well.
Scotty

Vic Suben

Thank you for the tips.  i guess simple green and elbow grease is the answer.

Vic
Vic
Surprise, Hull No. 453

Ron Hill

Vic :  "I guess simple green and elbow grease is the answer".

Also, the least spill of oil or sign of dirt or belt dust - get a paper towel and clean it up immediately!!  Any oil makes the dust and dirt that much harder to clean up!!  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Les Luzar

I agree with Ron. Inspect your engine often for loose nuts, clamps, hose condition, rust, corrosion, oil, belt dust etc. I vacuum mine to remove belt dust and clean it often. This will keep your engine as clean as possible, and help you to hopefully spot potential issues in advance.
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Ralph Masters

I also keep an oil pad under my engine to help spot any drips, and it keeps the dripps if there are any cleaned up.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

WD 40 also works good to disolve caked on grease.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

waterdog

Quote from: Mike and Joanne Stimmler on July 20, 2012, 12:27:47 PM
WD 40 also works good to disolve caked on grease.

Mike

WD 40 may leave a lot to be desired as a lubricant, but it is an awesome solvent.   I occasionally (OK often) spill greasy stuff on synthetic type shirts.   WD 40 makes a great pretreatment for laundry.   Tracey now swears by it.   Nothing like it to remove the mark where the bike chain came in contact with the shirt while you were putting it on the roofracks.  (Substitute your favourite boating adventure - dipstick touches shorts or whatever).   
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat