89 octane regular (12 gals) pumped to fill 40 gal diesel tan

Previous topic - Next topic

CatFriend

Can't tell you how worried i am right now. Sorry for the double post over on the poll, just figuring out how to use this system. I accidently filled a friends tank with 89 octane into his diesel fuel only tank. It only took 12 gallons, it is a 40 gal tank. Is this mix ok, will it just burn off in time? If not, how long before the octane/diesel mix causes problems? I'm thinking because there is much more diesel than regular fuel, it will just burn off and be ok? Please help asap?

bjmansfield

David:
I don't know the answer as to how much gasoline in diesel is "OK" and seriously doubt anyone else does either but seriously doubt that 30% gasoline is acceptable.
As expensive as diesel injectors and diesel engines are, I would not take any chances at all, I would drain the tank and all lines and replace all filters immediately and not fire up the diesel until I had fresh 100% diesel in the system.

Stu Jackson

David

I agree with Jack.  The gasoline fuel burns differently and could cause serious harm to the engine, since gasoline works on electronic or spark ignition and diesels work on pressure ignition inside to move the pistons up and down.

Drain it all out and start over.  We had an experience where a local garage inadvertently filled up my father-in-law's diesel car with gasoline.  He drained it out right away and refilled with diesel.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

PAUL T.

David, sorry about your mishap. I would suggest that you be very carefull with your handling of the contents of the fuel tank!!!  12 gallons is a fair amount of fuel, and gasoline vapors are heavier than air and will always seek lowest spot in the boat. If you pump it out yourself, dont use an electric pump unless it is designed to be used in an explosive environment. you should probably leave this mess to a professional.  Good Luck  PAUL........

dsavary

Don't attempt to start the engine!!
Several problems will occur, first the high pressure pump(mechanical not the electric) will lose lubication and bind up. The pump will be seriously damaged and could damage to the injectors if any of the mixture passes through the pump.
The gasoline will lower the flash point of the diesel and cause serious pre-ignition. Cylinders will be firing earlier then designed, which could punch a hole in a piston, or bend a rod. A posibility of the glow plugs causing the mixture to preignite the mixture.  Disconnect the fuel line from the electric pump and you will only require a pump out of the gas and deisel mixture and the filters won't be effected until you refill with all new deisel. You may have to pump through several gallons of new deisel using the electric pump and Racor filter then into another receptical until the gas mixture is gone. See if your insurance company covers this and they may recommend a professional company that can do this work.  Remember you will have over 40 gallons of waste that must be enviromentally handled.  Good luck.

Doug "Shana" C34 1138

Mike Smith

I know of several similar instances of mistaken fill-ups.  I heard of one friend filling up the water tank with diesel while waiting for the owner to take him sailing.  Another friend stuck the gas nozzel into a fishing pole holder on his father's 20 ft outboard and pumped about 5 gals into the bilge before the smell caused him to stop.  I could go on but, the important thing here is:  whenever you get whoever to pump the gas/diesel fuel mixture out, call your local fire department and have them monitor the procedure.  They will be happy to help.

Mike Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com

jentine

You have just created a very EXPLOSIVE MIXTURE.  Have the mixture removed by someone with the proper training and equipment.  One spark from any source including static electricity can be extremely bad for your health.  
Jim Kane :eek: