Water pump woes

Previous topic - Next topic

PK

Not to take this in a different direction... Does anyone have any tips for rebuilding a sherwood pump.  I have the new lip seals and bearings and would like to rebuild our spare pump, but am having trouble getting the seals out and then not sure about back in.  If it was leaking salt water from the weep holes should we replace both seals and bearings or just the water side seal?  Any advice would be appreciated. 
PS I only have the tools on the boat, so please don't say take it home and work on it there :D

Stu Jackson

OK, I'll bite: "Do NOT take it home!  Work on it on your boat!"   :D :D :D  Just like we did.  Really, the link in Reply #1 on page one of this topic with flix of how we did it is pretty much all you need. 

The guts of the pumps are the same as far as the "How To Do It" is concerned.

The trick is Ron Hill's famous little tool to get the seals out.  It's in the links in that topic, as well as detailed instructions.  They are also available to C34IA Members in the Tech Notes Online.  Do not be afraid of breaking the old seals, you will never use them again.

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Clay Greene

Not exactly on point, but I replaced by Oberdorfer pump at the end of last season because I thought it would be good to have an extra one on hand.  I was very surprised when it started to leak last week.  I spoke to Oberdorfer customer service representative and he agreed it was very unusual for a seal to fail after less than 30 hours of use.  I had another pair of seals on hand and was able to replace them with a little bit of work (they are not at all easy to get out without scoring the pump lining in the process).  We're back up and running without any leaks but my plan is to always keep an extra set of seals on hand along with extra impellers. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

noworries

I replaced the pump... new one works like a charm!

Now it appears my fuel pump is dead.  The motor runs fine, but the familiar "tick...tick...tick..." when the key is on is gone.  If it's not one thing, it's another!
1991 Catalina 34 Mark 1.5 w/ M35

Ron Hill

PK : I doubt that my homemade Oberdoffer tool will work (or even be needed) on a Sherwood ?

I haven't taken a Sherwood pump apart and rebuilt one - no need to - YET.  I don't believe it's too difficult.
Call Bill Nuttall and talk with him as he has rebuilt his Sherwood 410-527-1225.

Yes, I'd take it home to do the rebuild job.  I've always found it takes only a fraction of the time compared to doing it on the boat, because you have a work bench/vise and a better assortment of tool.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Some do, but I have ALL my tools on the boat!  Gee, wonder why I never volunteer to do any work around the house.   :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ed Shankle

No Worries,
Before replacing your fuel pump, check that the ground wire is secure. I've had it come loose, vibration I guess, and of course the pump stops.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA