Water pump woes

Previous topic - Next topic

noworries

So I was changing the oil yesterday, and noticed a slow drip coming from the Sherwood water pump, where it attaches to the block.

As I pour over the copious amount of info on the website... and tips/advice?  The rate of water drip is about one per minute.  Is it a quick fix or do I need to replace it with an Oberdorfer?  (yeah I've read it doesn't pump as much water).
1991 Catalina 34 Mark 1.5 w/ M35

Stu Jackson

You have the "basic" water pump choices.  Not much has changed.

1.  Buy a new pump
2.  Rebuild the pump
3.  Choose between the Oberdorfer and the Sherwood

Them's your choices.

Rebuild of either is easier and less expensive, takes an afternoon.

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6766.0.html

The water issue is NOT an issue, at all.

The Oberdorfer will last longer 'cuz it's a better made pump, as Ron has reported.

Your boat, your choice.   :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

NO : It looks (from the color of your paint?) that you have an M35 engine?? 
When you have an engine problem ALWAYS state the engine model!!

As far as the drip of water - it should be coming from the weep hole in the middle of the pump body - not out of the pump to engine seal? 
Dripping water (especially salt water ) is a big deal!!  I know of and have written about several Universal engine owners (forget about the brand raw water pump) that have let a "drip" continue and have had the oil pan get a rust hole!! 
It sounds as thought you've been doing my recommended check (looking at the raw water pump while the engine is running) and caught the drip as it has first started.

I'd go ahead and rebuild the old Sherwood pump and consider buying another Sherwood to have on hand for a quick change out.  Sticking with a Sherwood will mean that any spare parts that you have ie. impellers, will continue to be used.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

noworries

Sorry, yes it's a M35.  If it's easier and cheaper to rebuild the one I have I'd rather go that route.  What's the best way to get the parts?  Order online or go to the local shop?

It doesn't drip steadily, or increase when the engine is running.  It's just an occasional drip.  I just happened to catch it since I was changing the oil.  It hasn't been leaking long, not more than a month or two.

Ron Hill

NO : The best place to get raw water pump parts (Sherwood or Oberdoffer or Johnson) is from a place in Florida - DEPCO (800)445-1656. 

Check your parts manual, but I'm going to guess that your Sherwood is a model # 908.

Hope this helps. 
Ron, Apache #788

Stewartn

Having lost an entire season because of a failed seal on the Sherwood Pump (908), I am recommending to CHANGE THE PUMP NOW. If salt water makes it into the engine oil, past the leaking seal, there is no end to the problems and the expense. After I replaced the leaker, the NEW Sherwood started to leak after 100 hrs. I got absolutely no help from Westerbeke or their distributor, Hansen Marine. I replaced the replacement and now carry a brand new pump for immediate change out at the first sign of a drip. IMHO, it's lousy engineering and a lousy pump for that purpose. Hope the best for you.
Stewart Napoleon, Hull #1472, Desiree
Greenwich, CT

Roc

Try Marine Parts Source for parts.  They also have very good prices.  Miguel is very helpful.

http://www.marinepartssource.com/index.asp

Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Stu Jackson

nw, Let's just do this again for you.

1.  The Sherwood pumps more water than the Oberdorfer.  However, Oberdorfer pumps have been proven to work with your engine.  The reason is that some skippers have already switched out their Sherwoods for Oberdorfers.  It's in the C34 Tech wiki:  http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Replacing_a_Sherwood_Water_Pump_with_an_Oberdorfer

2.  You have a leak.  We have explained how to deal with it.  

You could compare the price of a new pump complete with the cost of just the seals, and "your" time.  You could also compare the cost of seals locally (available immediately) vs. the cost of seals from DEPCO by mail and the cost of expedited shipping.

Your boat, your choice.

Sorry for the "engineering" type answer, but that's what you have facing you.

Glad we could be of help.

Disclaimer: This post has NOT been altered by the moderators of this forum without notice or consent.

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

noworries

I've done my reading on the pumps, and I'm comfortable swapping to an Obe.  You mentioned rebuilding was the cheaper/easier solution.  Then somebody else said they rebuilt there's and it caused all kinds of issues.

Would you agree that swapping to an Obe would be easier and less risky then rebuilding the sherwood?

Can I just call depco and say "I got a c34 w/ a m35 and want everything I need to replace the sherwood with an obe?" or do I need to be more specific and list part numbers?  I guess that's my question now.  I don't want to pull the sherwood until I'm ready to put the ode on.

Edit: Oberdorfer N202M-16 looks like all I need?  an an extra impeller?  Does it come with a gasket or do I have to order one or ???

Note: This post has been altered by the poster.  :D

Ron Hill

no : If you don't rebuild any pump properly it is going to give you problems.

I seriously doubt if DEPCO can sell you all of the parts for a Sherwood to Oberdoffer conversion, but you can try - call them.

Personally I would rebuild the Sherwood that you have.  Most all of the C34s still have their original brand raw water pump.  Only a very few C34 owners have changed brands.

My main gripe against a Sherwood is that the middle part of the pump is cast iron and it will rust over time if the water leak is not fixed.  On the other hand the Sherwood has a better system than the 2 lip seals to keep the oil in the engine and the water in the pump side.  The inside walls of the Oberdoffer are VERY easily scored when replacing the lipseals and you have to remove the oil LS to remove the water LS.
Nothing is made easy!! 

Looks to me (from the paint [lack of]) that your engine is on its replacement Sherwood - wonder what the PO did with the original Sherwood???

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

John Langford

I made the change to the Oberdorfer pump and in my humble opinion it is a vastly superior pump in large part for the reason Ron stated. The alteration of the base of the pump is very straightforward and easily accomplished with a hack saw and file.

There are other threads on this topic on this site that you may want to look at.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

lazybone

When we first purchased Lazybones's we had many problems with our Sherwood pump.
Catalina of their chosing and cost replaced the pump with an Oberdorfer.
I think they knew something.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

captran

I switched out my leaking sherwood with the obendorfer at least in 2005.  I also like the oberdorfer for checking and relacing the empeller.  a plate with 4 screws.  am thinking about getting a spare just to have on board.
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa

noworries

Well my pump arrived.  I'm still not sure what to do about a gasket.  Do I buy some liquid gasket at the auto parts store, or do I try a local marine engine shop for a paper gasket? 

Ron Hill

Call DEPCO and get yourself a gasket.  
You just might need the gasket thickness to make sure that pump shaft slot mate properly with the slot in the engine!!  

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788