Rope Clutches -- Do I want 10-12mm or 8-10mm?

Previous topic - Next topic

noworries

I just bought a lewmar 10-12mm to put on my cabin top.  Now that I'm looking at everything I'm thinking about returning it and getting the 8-10. 

Right now I have my main sheet and main halyard on the starboard side.  They are both singles.
On starboard I've got jib and spin halyards.

I believe my halyards are all 3/8", and the only thing I have bigger than that is the boom vang, which I can downsize.

I'm trying to get the outhaul, reef line, cunningham, and some other stuff back to the cockpit and it's mostly 5/16".  So I'm thinking I should have gone with the 8-10, but I wanted to make sure I Wasn't missing something
1991 Catalina 34 Mark 1.5 w/ M35

Joe Holmes

I recently installed a new triple from Spinlock (XAS series)- they were rated at 6-12 mm and I am very happy with them on my 3/8 halyards.  I am not sure why the Spinlock has a larger rope size range for the clutch.  Have not yet put any smaller sized lines through it yet.  If you are returning the Lewmar unit then the Spinlock might be an option.
Joe Holmes
1988 Mk 1 Tall Rig, Hull 758
Rothesay NB Canada

scotty

I went with the Spinlock XTS 8-14 mm (5/16" - 9/16").  This matched existing rope clutches and fit my needs.  I like the size both of the line which it accepts and also the size of the unit.  It is nice and sturdy. and have had very good luck with the current set.
Scotty

noworries

so the vibe I'm getting is "go with the spinlock"?  I'm ok with that. 
1991 Catalina 34 Mark 1.5 w/ M35

Gary Brockman

Both are very good clutches. I would go with the one that had would fit in the same holes as my old ones. I replaced my old ones with the Spinlock XTS because of the fit.

Gary
Squall
1986 Hull #231
Tall Rig/Fin Keel - Elliptical Rudder
M25XPB - Flexofold 2 Blade 15x10
Marina del Rey, California