Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

lazybone

I should be sailing but....

soon  :cry4`

Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Jim Hardesty

Nice.  Now that I put in airconditioning doors look much more convenient.  My winter project?
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Indian Falls

Is this awesomeness your creativity or did you buy this somewhere??  I'm totally interested...  either way I can buy or make it myself......  I'll send you a case of awesome beer for the plans!
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

lazybone

A labor of love made years ago when my young children would be in and out enough to make me dizzy.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

patrice

Just Woaawwww !!!   :clap

Very nice job done.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Roger Blake

Last Call
1998 C34 MK II
Hull #1414

chuck53

I made doors for my boat last year.  I wish they looked half that good.  At least they serve their purpose...hate slats.
Nice job!

Jim Hardesty

All the well deserved praise.  I have a question before adding to my boat list. 

Is there any down side with doors?

Again very nice.

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

scotty

Jim,  I have doors on my boat and love them.  There are a few downsides:  
1.  Doors are not very strong when closed and the companionway hatch is open.  I'm always afraid that someone will lean heavily against them and tumble down into the cabin.  For that reason I always sail with the hatch closed - actually I close it not quite all the way so that it rests against the forward edge of the doors, effectively supporting them.  If I want the hatch open I either open the doors, or take them off and stow them (easy to do).
2.  In heavy weather, following seas, it is prudent to leave a slat or two in at the companion way so that if the boat is pooped, water does not go down into the cabin.  This is also why we have a bulkhead step from the cockpit to the stairs.  I don't go out in those conditions! - but is is possible that it might happen.  Since this is such a low probability, I accept it.
3.  The doors are kind of in the way when open and a person is sitting in the corner of the forward part of the seats - like when I go below to get a drink and my wife is sitting there reading a book.  No big deal.

The doors Aldo made are super!  One detail which I like are the large hinges.  Mine have smaller hinges whicn come off to easily.  I'm going to upgrade to the type he uses.  That will also mitigate my concern of the strength of the doors. The good looks and convienence of doors make them quite a nice addition for my boat.  Here's what mine look like:
Scotty

Brent Evans

Check out the below website.  Lynn built my doors and they're wonderful and well-crafted.

http://www.customyachtcarpentry.com/#!HOME/mainPage

chuck53

Lazybone's doors, as well as mine, both use lift off hinges.
I can't speak for him, but I only use my doors when I'm on the boat at the dock.  When we leave on Sunday, the doors go back in the boat and the slats come out.
Obviously, when we are sailing, we don't use either.

lazybone

Quote from: chuck53 on June 30, 2012, 08:45:33 AM
Lazybone's doors, as well as mine, both use lift off hinges.
I can't speak for him, but I only use my doors when I'm on the boat at the dock.  When we leave on Sunday, the doors go back in the boat and the slats come out.
Obviously, when we are sailing, we don't use either.

Exactetacaly
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677