Fender Storage Ideas

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawk

I picked up a double stainless fender holder at West Marine that simply attaches outboard to the stern rail pushpit. The two larger fenders get dropped in...out of the way, no knots, no water onboard, easly accessed and looks good. I stow one smaller fender in the aft lazarette. I've never carried any more......if I ever needed more, say at a dock in a blow, I find most boaters seem to carry plenty. I just don't like wasting space with fenders.

Hawk
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

Analgesic

My Mark I has the propane locker resting on a suspended piece of plywood  shelf on the starboard side of the aft locker.  I have another  piece of plywood approximately 8-10" wide that I cut so it runns horizontally across the stern locker resting  on top of the propane locker shelf to starboard and the inner hull to port.  The fenders line up perfectly at a good height to grab them quickly.  The board isn't even attached, just held in place by gravity.  It also provides some proection against anything falling down on the various through hulls at the stern. 
Brian McPhillips  1988 #584  M25XP

Stu Jackson

I like Steve's idea.

Here's how ours work.  Simple.

We have a lot of backup snaps.  They've been there for the 13 years we've had our boat.  Garage sale worked for us back then.  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Hawk

Stu,

Can you send us a photo of the the three fenders hanging on the Starboard side..............(:

Hawk

Ron Hill

Guys : I carry 6 fenders in the rear lazerette - 2 large, 2 medium, 2 small (horizontally behind the propane locker).  I also have 2 flat fenders in the port side lazerette and 2 round fenders in the aft cabin.  

When we first got the boat (over 24 yrs ago) my 1st Mate said we should get 2 more large fenders.  I explained that there was no more room for 2 more large, unless we stored them on the port side of Vberth (her side!!)  She reconsider her request!!   A thought
Ron, Apache #788

efhughes3

I've done similar to what Stu does on every boat I've ever had. For a day sail, why go to the effort of removing, stowing and replacing the fenders? If going any distance offshore, I'd put them in the lazarette.
Ed Hughes
La Vie Dansante-1988 C34 Hull 578
SDYC

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

I like Stu's idea too and that's what I've always done

Just as long as you don't sail with them hanging over the side!
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Kevin Henderson

I tried Stu's arrangement this past weekend with mixed results. 
We really liked not having to shuttle the fenders down below but the issue we had was the Jib sheet would occasionally get itself caught up underneath the hanging fender. 
Was I doing something wrong?? :donno:  Probably due more to some sloppy sail handling but I think we're going to try the Lazzeret solution next... we'll see..  :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Ralph Masters

On Ciao Bella we tie our fenders off to the top life line when in use.  that's the way the PO had them and I kept them there.  (I have replaced them with blue to match the dodger.)  The fenders are the double eye type, and to stow them I use the tag end of the fender whip to tie them up side down, outboard of the life line.
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ralph Masters

And another shot but closer view
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ralph Masters

And a third
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Hawk

Well maybe it's a Canadian quirk left over from the spit and polish British or perhaps up here with all the rain and weather the fenders don't look so pristine as down south, but I've never seen a boat sailing merrily along with his fenders draped over the lifelines and on display...........unless of course it was overlooked on departure, which is considered a faux pas of some proportion and generally worthy of some not unconsiderable ridicule. I suspect we Canadians are more likely just lazy and the thought of an hour polishing the fenders to hang them over the side is met with amusement as the fenders are stowed and immediately followed by the cracking open of a can of chilled Labatts.

Hawk 

waterdog

Come on Hawk.  You don't really drink Labatts do you?
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

lazybone

Got to agree with Tom.

It is like wearing underware over pants.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Hawk

Steve
Touche, but I didn't think our southern friends would recognize Bowen Island pale ale.(: