3M, the bad years (MKII blisters)

Previous topic - Next topic

reedbr

I am being told that there was a 6 month period when 3M supplied a new resin to major boat manufacturers.  This included Catalina, Hunter and I think Beneteau among others.  Apparently this resin had a problem causing blisters almost immediately.  I heard this was in 1996 and that it affected some 1996 and 1997 Catalina's, inlcluding the C34 MKII.  I have searched the forum and the FAQ and don't see anything about it.  Both a surveyor and a Catalina dealer told me about it.  I also heard there as a class action lawsuit by some owners against 3M.

Does anybody have any details on this?  If so, does anybody know what hull numbers would be affected?  Any information is appreciated.
Brian Reed
1997 C34 mkII "Ambitious"
St. Mary's River, MD

dave davis-707-1988- san

I don't know what causes blisters but you can find lots of studies and hundreds of opinions on the subject.
I have a 1988 which is kept in the Bay 12 months per year. I started to show very small pin head size blisters four years ago. About 50 of them showed up which I popped open and filled with Marine Barrier Coat from 3M. The next haul out, there were about 200 pin head blisters. Mostly just below the water line. Again I filled them with the same stuff using a toothpick as a applicater. I compared photos of these blisters and they seemed to be mostly new. This year, last week to be exact, I hauled again and wola, NO BLISTERS! I am a very happy sailer! :D

My only gripe now is that I have tried numerous things to get rid of that catalina smile including retightening the keel bolts to a 125 Ft Pds but this smile will not stay shut. It seens to be getting worst, not better. I am looking for a easy jix without a major effort or $.

kellyday

I have hull No. 1340 a 1997 Catlina 34 MkII.The first time it was hauled for a bottom job in 1998 the yard found blisters.  The gelcoat was shaved and redone. The dealer handled the entire job and I was told reimbursed by catalina. The dealer relayed to me that catalina had supposedly gotten a bad batch of epoxy.Since that initial hauling I have not had any problem with blisters and the boat is in the water all year.Like you I have never heard any other mention of this problem.

Jon Arck

When we bought Tweety Bird #1346, the problem was supposed to have been fixed for several months, but my dealer, Farallone Yacht Sales in Alameda, CA, didn't want to take any chances (ours was the first Mk II on SF Bay) and had the boatyard apply five coats of epoxy before the bottom paint.  

We'll be hauled later this month for our biannual bottom job, so we'll see whether we have any blistering (our last haulout, 2 years ago, indicated no problems).

reedbr

Just an update for anybody keeping records.  I just completed a survey on hull #1356.  There were no signs of blisters or signs of any blister repairs.  The manufacture date was B7 or February of 1997.
Brian Reed
1997 C34 mkII "Ambitious"
St. Mary's River, MD

tassber2

I bought hull #1321 at the Catalina factory when it was 2 years old.. I was told the same story as Kellyday by our local dealer.  Catalina repaired the boat at the factory before I bought her.  I had a haulout after two years for bottom paint and the bottom showed no signs of blisters.  The factory also gave me a new hull wrrenty at the time of purchase.  My boat is now 6 years old and is still a fantastic boat.

Mike
1996 MkII #1321