Bilge Pump Size?

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve W10

I've read as much as I could find on this forum and on-line and am having some difficulty deciding on what size electric bilge pump is appropriate for the / my C-34; I've seen anything from 750 GPH up to 3700+ GPH.

It has been suggested that a single electric pump will not handle a catastrophic event; a high capacity manual diaphragm pump is recommended as back-up in emergencies.

If I read correctly, ABYC seems to fall in line with that being the purpose of an electric bilge pump.
"22.2 SCOPE
These standards apply to all boats equipped with electric bilge pump systems intended for control of spray, rain water, and normal accumulation of water due to seepage and spillage."

This all makes sense to me, and I completely understand that you off-shore guys want larger pumps, but I'm curious what would be the minimum size recommended for a fresh-water sailor?

Steve

chuck53

If I'm not mistaken, I've got a Rule 2000 in my boat and my buddy with a C36 has the same one.

scotty

I'm sure that there are people with more technical knowledge, but for me; bigger is better.  While an electrical bilge pump won't keep up with a catistrophic failure, it sure as he-- will make a huge difference is many, many situations.  I have a Rule 2000 (it should have a counter to tell me how often it comes on).  Even if a pump is rated at 2000 gal/hour, it will not pump that much water.  The size of tubing and the amount of lift will greatly effect the pump output.  Yes, you should also have a (seperate) manuel bilge pump installed.  Electrical pumps go out for the darndest reasons, at the darndest times.  I also carry a portible manual pump.  It comes in handy for lots of reasons.  My Dad used to say that nothing works better than a scared man (or woman) with a bucket.  I carry several.  Buckets, not frightend people.  Fresh or Salt, same saftey needs in this case.
Scotty

wind dancer

I have a Rule 2000, the factory installed Whale manual pump, a small 500 diaphragm pump for my shower, a portable manual pump, and a bucket or two lying around.  Not to mention the ability to remove the hose from the engine seawater intake (not sure what that's rated, but you can be sure if my pumps aren't keeping up I'll give that a shot).  I think I'm covered, though I've considered adding a smaller pump in the bilge as a primary that will activate at a lower water level than the large one, but haven't gotten around to it. 
Jay Guard, 1996 Catalina 380, #3, "Aquila", Seattle

Ron Hill

Steve : I'd go for a 2000gph pump.  Definitely nothing smaller than 1500gph

If you don't have a float switch, I'd recommend a Super Switch so it's wired in to the AUTO and ON positions.  Also make sure that the + wire is fused (probably a 10amp).   A thought
Ron, Apache #788