Reefing Line

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Henderson

Going to WM this week and get the stuff to rig my reefing lines.  Nothing dramatic or fancy just the standard reefing arrangement as originally configured.  I'm thinking of 26'x3/8 for the Kringle and 16'x3/8 for the Luff.   Any suggestions for type of line, length, "gotchas" or even color preferences? :abd:

Also ... is it better to use a reefing hook or a SS ring at the luff?
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Ron Hill

Kevin : I use a stainless "pig tail" that connects into the goose neck pin that holds the mainsail luff kringle to the boom.

If you want a color coded line, I'd recommend you purchase Samson brand line.  My experience with new England line is that the color fades in a year.   A few thoughts.
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Colored Line

I have such difficulty with this concept.  I see boats with green and red jib sheets.  Sheesh...

Maybe it's just me, but I prefer that the lines kinda visually disappear rather than being prominent.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

scotty

I went with the durabraid (New England Ropes) because the 5/16" has 7000 lb breaking and 2% stretch , and is white with a lot of blue and some red strands.  It  dosen't show up much on the sail, but is distinctive in the cockpit.  I like the permanently attached tack line, 'cause I don't want to mess with rigging the cunningham when the wind is blowing - but that's just a personal preference.  I put a bunch of pictures on the thread about line stoppers if you want to look.
Scotty

Ron Hill

Guys : Colored lines do have their place on a boat, especially if you sail/race with a bunch of "Newbies". 
Much easier the say "tighten or release the BLUE line!!  My thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stephen Butler

Ron has a very good point about newbies and color coded lines, but also for the more experienced.  The admiral and I have been sailing offshore for 42 years and while we typically use the proper terms,  there are still those times when one of us will shout, "...grab the red or green rope."  Not very nautical, but effective when something needs doing quickly.  Just a thought.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023