Watermakers on C34s

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Has anyone installed one?  

If so, what brand?  

Centralized or decentralized (modular)?  

Where did you install it and what piping was associated with it.

What reasons led to the installation?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Gary Wilson

Stu,

It has been a long time since you asked the question about watermakers.  Have you ever heard of anyone's experience with one on a C34?  I think it woiuld be a nice upgrade and allow a little more independence from shore facilities.

Gary Wilson
Childsong #138

sailmed

I don't have personal experience with it, but have read very positive comments by Practical Sailor readers about their Spectra Ventura 150's.  They are intended for racing and small cruising vessels.

Stu Jackson

Gary

In the past three and a half years, since that post, I haven't heard anything.  I haven't pursued any other sources, like the C36 board, either. 

Just waitin' to hear from someone... :donno:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Stu : It's been a number of years since I decided to NOT install a water maker.  Unless you're going off shore or plan to be in an area for a long length of time where (like the Bahamas) good RO water costs more /gal than diesel; I believe you're better off getting it from a shore facility.  Here are some of the things I took into consideration:
1.  The initial cost $$ is NOT cheap!!  The smaller (Power Survivour) unit will run $3K
2.  That unit will only put out about 1 1/2 gal per hour
3.   It draws 4 amps per hour or 1.5 amp hrs / qt of water - at best
4.   You need to be in a place where the water is moving - oil will KILL the expensive membrane
5.   When not in use you'll need to "pickle" the unit

I thought of drawing water from my "salt water" pump thru hull and mounting it between the hull and battery compartment floor next to the bilge.   
Then I took a look at the 5 item listed above and decided to get water ashore as the most practical/prudent way to "water up"!! :think

Ron, Apache #788