IPad Navigation Apps

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike McDonald

I would like to download an IPad navigation app, and would like to keep the cost down.  Practical Sailor did a recent comparison of apps and it seems they liked I-Navx and Navionics the best.  Have any of you used these? Once you purchase and download the app, are the charts free for your local area, or do you have to purchase them separately.  It looks like the Navionics may provide the local charts free, but you must purchase charts outside of your local area?  Does anyone know.  Also, how about the ease of use of the apps?  I would love to hear from anyone who has used IPad apps for navigation.  Thanks.
Mike....
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario

Kevin Henderson

Mike,

I have used the Navionics apps for both iPhone and iPad.  I do like them and I have used them, but not extensively or exclusively.  I found that with both, seeing the chart in daylight is a struggle at best.  It seems I was always running below to the cabin to clearly see the chart on the device.  That is my single biggest critical comment.  The other things to consider are ruggedness and power.  I use an Otterbox for both devices and while its pretty rugged I wouldn't want to stress it too much bouncing off the fiberglass and getting wet.  I am notorious for letting my batteries get low and so one would have to consider your power usage and methods to keep it charged.  Finally, I don't really know of a good mount to place the device next to the helm to see it while at the wheel. (and then theres the visibility issue).
The Navigation Apps and the devices are excellent supplements, but in all honesty, since having my Garmin Chartplotter specifically designed for use in the marine environment and ability to be seen in daylight, makes the iPhone/iPad Apps a tertiary backup to other navigational aids.  (Paper charts, GPS, IPad App)
I hope that's not too discouraging but it's my take on the Apps.
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Kevin Henderson

Couple other things... The really cool thing about the Navionics App is the Google Earth overlay.  It's pretty handy to see a satelite view from overhead for recognition of things along the shoreline. 
The other.. Navionics uses unique icons on the chart to distinguish areas of no fishing or no anchorage... a little more intuitive than referring to notes on the chart.
Like I said... I think they are fun to use as a supplement. :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

2ndwish

I use Navionics for the iPad. It's great and all of the charts are included as far as I can tell. I also use the iPhone app, but it is a little difficult in the cockpit. For the iPad app, make sure you have a 3G iPad or the GPS function does not exist. I haven't used iNavx so I can't comment, but it looks like it has support for WiFi instruments if your boat is so equipped. Hope this helps.
Good luck on your trip home.

Mike McDonald

Thanks for the insight.  I decided to download the Navionics app for Ipad and give it a try.
Mike.....
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario

Kevin Henderson

Mike,

I know you already downloaded the App and I'm certain it's going to work out for you.  I just ran across this article from a newsletter at a local Marina talking about the iPad Navionics App.  It has great reviews and is an interesting read.

http://www.blueskynews.com/bayclub06-12.html

~Henry David Thoreau

pablosgirl

Hi Mike,

A couple of weeks ago I helped a friend sail his Hanse 46 from Galveston to Pensacola, FL and he brought along his iPad with the I-Navx app loaded on it as a backup to his Simrad chart plotter.  I was quite impressed.  It came with a lot of charts, even over seas ones I think.  I was amazed on how fast the charts loaded.  The charts were fairly easy to read under the full cockpit bimini.  If I had an ipad I would buy the I-Navx app.

Paul
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP

BillG

I've used nav-x first on my lap top and later on an ipad. They are different softwares however, but both allow you to download  charts for free for the US and virgin islands.
Bill
Rock Hall, MD

Michael

We have used Navionics for iPAD and iPhone for about a year now, including for three weeks of cruising north from Vancouver into the Broughton Archipelago and return last summer.  The iPAD version provides better resolution on a larger screen.  But they are both terrific.  We like to have two iPADs aboard, so that there is a spare one, fully charged, at all times.  You get five downloads of the software for one price, which suits our multiple-owner boat well.  The iPAD GPS works terrifically.  You might suspect that we are huge fans of this hardware and application, which is true.  After paying far more for a tiny Garmin chart plotter a couple of years earlier, we couldn't be happier to have found the larger-screen iPAD with Navionics software. We pass it around the cockpit, take it below, lash it in place at the helm station, run it in portrait or landscape, zoom in and out by spreading our fingers on the screen, track our vacation...We have begun using it to produce tracks of our 'round the buoys races, turning it on when we cross the start line and turning it off when we cross the finish line. We plan our summer cruises on it.  Some of our enthusiasm for it may reflect our late adoption, on the iPAD for the first time, of navigation software.  Still, the software seems to come into its own on the iPAD, with its built in (at least on the 3G models) GPS and "spreadable" scaling, in a way that it doesn't on a PC.
Michael MacLeod, "Hali" 1997 Hull #1352, Universal M-35B engine, Vancouver, BC

Mike McDonald

Thanks again to everyone for their input.  So far I am happy with the Navionics app, but have a lot to learn.  Anyone found any good help for the IPAD Navionics app yet?  I'm new to all of this.  Thanks again. 
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario

jkar

Can't speak to the Navionics.  If you decide to get the iNavX app, there is a ton of resource material, plus the author is very accessible.  I used it last year to supplement my MacBook.  After about 500nm, I was using it exclusively.  This year the MacBook isn't coming to the boat at all.  I have my instruments wired to a WiFi converter and it puts all my data on the iPad.  I don't know where you are in getting a protective case for it, but I would suggest the Lifedge case from Scanstrut.  You can get it from Defender.  It is waterproof and floats.  I had the Otterbox, it has openings, so I then had to put it in a drybag.  That stunk.  So I sold that and bought the Survior from Griffin.  That sealed up, is "rain" proof.  It was OK until the dock seal began to give out.  Replaced with the Lifedge.  Wished the Lifedge was released last year.  Good luck.

Terry Forshier

I tried the isailgps app to see the difference between navonics and this one. Similar but isailgps has different programs. For about 10$'each it is fun playing around on them. I have ray marine displays and these are easier to use.

dirtydirt

www.moxiware.com    check this case out.  expensive but work well.  Just finished trip to Maine from Boston and used I Pad with Navionics app
and loved it 50% of the time.

BobAthensGA

I used Navionics on a Ipod Touch with a GPS Magellan case. The magellan case makes it waterproof and gives it GPS. I had it downloaded on my wife's IPhone but found I didn't get to use it much. I used it in the Fl Keys for almost a year. I had a Garmin 540 chartplotter that was NOT touchscreen. I found that I used the Garmin less and less. The Navionics app on the Ipod was so much easier to use. I would read the guide books and listened to the weather radio and figure out where I wanted to go and would come up with some Plan A B and C anchorages. I would plot them on the Navionics which was so much faster than the Garmin. It would much better at calculating time and distance. Worked very well in the Keys. I have used it on Lake Lanier GA and have enjoyed it there. Mostly for race courses etc.

I bought Navionics for the Caribbean and used it for 10 days in the Caribbean.  Very pleased with it. Great for planning our routes as well as alternate weather plans. Of course we used paper as well but the Navionics was spot on.

Jeff Tancock

I'm wondering if anyone tried using Memory-map. I used it on a 30 day free trial basis on my 10" android tablet while cruising through the Puget Sound and San Juans and loved it. I read a review a month ago somewhere and they preferred it. The charts were great (raster) and I really enjoyed being able to place a waymark anywhere on the screen, hit "go to waypoint" and get everything I needed. I don't know how it compares to the others and would like to read comments before I buy.
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp