Garhauer EZ Glide Jib Blocks

Previous topic - Next topic

Stewartn

In my efforts to look really good at the mooring and talk the talk, I installed the above yesterday. Now, before I have to walk the walk, someone please bail me out. I understand how the the multi part tackle will move the car forward under load. But, what if you want the the car to move aft? There is no postive stop for aft. Does the tension on the jib sheet effectively move the car aft dependinding on the size of the jib? I did install shock cord. Any help is greatly appreciated to avoid being talked about at cocktail hour. Thanks.
Stewart Napoleon, Hull #1472, Desiree
Greenwich, CT

tonywright

I tried the shock cord. It doesn't work: it either creates too much tension or not enough.

So I took the loose end (tail) of the line that you use to haul the block forward, tied it on the rear of the car and use it to pull the car back. Works fine.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Ted Pounds

If you use shockcord you can't just run it from the front of the track to the car.  That won't work and you'll have, as Tony said, either not enough or too much tension.  What I did was to run the shock cord from the aft end of the track to a block at the front end of the track then attached to the car.  That provides tension over the full range of movement of the car.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ron Hill

Stewart : I installed a short (2ft) tag line and when I want the block back I grab the tag line and pull it back. 
A lot better than screwing around with shock cord all over the deck!!   A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Brad Young

I am planing on buy an EZ Glide for DarBay.

1)Does anyone have a pic of their set up?
2)What is the optional swivel cam for?
3)What holds the block in place? Is it the tension of a line going forward and one aft?
4)
Thanks
Brad

Brad Young
Boat
Year 1986
Model C34
Hull# 84

David Sanner

I don't have a pic but maybe I can answer a few questions.

- Under load from the sheet the car wants to slide aft
- The blocks go at the forward end of the track with a screw to lock into the track
- The swivel cam holds the control line, swivels for convenience.

I have a bungee going from the cam to the car and then back to cam.
Worked  fine for a few years but could use replacing.
David Sanner, #611 1988, "Queimada" San Francisco Bay

Roc

Here are some pictures of mine. I loop the line back to the car, through a block on the stern rail.  Pull the line that wraps around the block to move the car back. Pull the line from the cam swivel to move the car forward.  You can decide if you want the block on the stern rail. I find it keeps the lines organized.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD