Susan Ray's SECOND C34!!!

Previous topic - Next topic

Susan Ray

Aloha,
I am looking to purchase a Catalina 34, tall rig 1996. There is damage to the top of the compression post. If this structual? Easy fix? I will attach a pic if anyone knows what this is from and if it is a major problem. My agent took this pic and I have yet to see the vessel...Thank you..
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii

noworries

I can't imagine that plastic ring is structural, looks more like cosmetic.  Does it leak?  If you're serious about the boat you should get it surveyed.  Something caused that damage, and it's likely some serious $$$ to repair right.
1991 Catalina 34 Mark 1.5 w/ M35

Roc

I wonder what the bottom of the compression post looks like.  From the picture, it looks like something pushed down on it.  To try to diagnose what happened, maybe looking at the bottom can tell you if a downward force caused something, and from that, you can deduce what kind of damage could be lurking.  See if there is anything in the keel area, where the compression post rests.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Susan Ray

I am having a surveyor look at the damage and do a survey if he decides the damage is not structual and can be repaired. And I will make sure he checks the bottom. I was hoping some other Catalina 34 owner may have seen this problem and know what caused it. Thanks for the responses..Susan

Roc

I'm trying to think what exactly is coming out.  Looks like foam insulation.  I'm guessing the area where the deck sits onto the compression post is solid fiberglass, due to the added structural strength that area needs.  So, having something coming out of that area does not make sense.  Unless someone sprayed expanding foam to stop a leak.

scotty

Roc might be on to something.  I kept thinking that it looked like someone tried to pry the ring down from the inside.
Scotty

noworries

If it's deck stepped then there's no mast boot, right?  Wouldn't that mean it's a solid cabin top?  So what's to leak?  There's no big hole, just small ones for fasteners.

What's the story from the owner?

If it's some half-assed repair, then you will need to look over the boat really carefully because where there's one half assed repair, there will be more!

I don't get it.  Why have a deck stepped mast if you still have a big post in the cabin?
1991 Catalina 34 Mark 1.5 w/ M35

Roc

That's correct, deck stepped, no hole in deck.  That's why I can't figure out what that stuff is.  It looks like spray foam insulation, or some kind of chalking.  My thought is someone lowering the mast with the crane got sidetracked and pounded the mast onto the tabernacle.  That might have caused a leak (although no hole in deck), and the stuff seen is trying to stop water from coming in.  That's why I'm interested to know what the base of the compression post looks like.  That jolt I envision at the top of the post might have done something at the bottom.....Interested to hear what the surveyor says......

Tom Soko

To me that looks like just the trim ring is broken.  It looks like the trim ring (with an "L" shaped cross-section) has been pulled down and broken.  The trim ring looks three dimentional, and not two dimensional.  Not sure how it would get broken, without leaving any marks on the overhead....
Tom Soko
"Juniper" C400 #307
Noank, CT

Susan Ray

I think you are on to something there...looks like that foam stuff....but why??? The surveyor should be looking with-in the next few days. I will post what he finds. Thanks again..

Stu Jackson

Susan,

Hello again!

Years ago I bought some of that spray foam to insulate around the fridge.  I never used it, because I learned that it expanded significantly after it came out of the can and I didn't want to buckle the sides of the fridge.

It could well be that the PO used foam up there, for some reason, and the buckling of the ring was the result.  I can't think of a reason to do that there, but since I have a keel stepped mast I do not know the details of the construction of the deck stepped mast.

If you're successful with this purchase, you'll join the growing list two-boat C34 owners.  Hope it works out for you.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Susan Ray

Hey Stu..I am looking for a boat in your area..now in Northern CA. Do you know of any for sale in your area? Looking for under 70k, way under hopefully. I sold my 87 Catalina and she is still in Hawaii...where I will be as soon as I get a boat.  This one is in Long Beach..and my last one had the mast stepped to keel too so I know nothing about compression posts...Good to hear from you...

Stu Jackson

Susan, no I don't know of any here locally, other than what Faralone Yachts may have.  Look at the latest Latitude 38, they have the magazine online now, they have a full page ad in the front section of the rag.   Someone asked me recently about boats for sale and yachtworld showed a lot of them but only in So. Cal. so you probably already know about those.  No private sellers here in the Latitude 38 classified for many months now, sorry.  Happy Hunting.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Susan : Welcome back!!

I'd be most apt to take down the mast and get a good look at the step on the deck that the mast sits on.  If there is any damage it should surly show up there. 
I'm sure that your surveyor is going to require this be done!!  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Susan Ray

Thanks for the welcome...I agree about the mast..will see what the surveyor says. I missed my boat life on the ocean... land-locked in Sacramento. It will be good to return, in a Catalina 34 of course. I did find another one, a 91 that looks promising..in SoCal also. Mahalo to you all...