Galley Sink Pump Runs Continuously

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike McDonald

Looking for some insight.  When I turned on the DC power panel, the galley pump was off.  I then turned on the faucet and the pump went on as expected, but would not turn off.  The batteries are new and fully charged.  Any suggestions on this one.  Also is there a way to easily drain the water tanks without using the pump? I want to flush out the tanks.  What  size an type of filter is under the sink (if it's standard with the boat) Thanks for your help.
Mike.....
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario

Ron Hill

Mike : I assume that you don't have a leak from a loose hose clamp!!  Check that first.

The "pump running" problem sounds like the pump has some "junk" caught in its diaphragm so the pressure is always equalize and the pump will never shut itself off.  I'm afraid that you need to contact the maker (Sure Flow or Flow Jet) of the pump and ask if there is any way to "clean" the pump itself, as the motor works fine.

If you want to drain the tanks with out using the water pump, just disconnect the inlet hose to the water pump and open both tank gate valves.  But first you'd better make sure that your bilge pump is operational as you'll be putting both fresh water tanks contents (could be putting 71 gallons!!) into your bilge!!!

As far as the  fresh water stainless mesh filter goes, I've written a number of articles recommending that the people change the fresh water strainer to a finer mesh and keep the courser mesh for the raw water.  Sorry, I'm on the boat and do not have ready access to the company, their tel. # or the part numbers - I long ago wrote all that up.  

Good luck.    
Ron, Apache #788

TonyP

Mike
Another possibility is that one or both tanks are empty and only sucking air.
cheers
Tony
Tony Plunkett
C34 Moonshadow
1992  Hull#1174
Pittwater / Newport
NSW Australia

Mike McDonald

Thanks for the feedback. The pump is a Shurflo Diaphragm pump, model# 220-213-34 / serial# 884578 and a date of 1/87.  Apparently the original pump that came with the boat.  I'll see if Shurflo has any info. as well.
Mike.....
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario

Joe Holmes

I had a similar problem with the pump running frequently while nobody was using any water.  Found that the gasket was missing on the mesh filter cover, allowing a steady drip into the bilge, dropping the line pressure.  It was not easy to see, and I missed it the first time I looked.  Teflon tape cured the problem. 
Joe Holmes
1988 Mk 1 Tall Rig, Hull 758
Rothesay NB Canada

Bobg

Had the same problem when I first got the boat, found out that I had to switch tanks, actually shut one off and turn the other one on to get it to stop running, one tank empty and one tank full, won't shut your pump off, this probably ain't it, but, its what happened to me
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

noworries

Just to clarify:
You turn the faucet on, pump turns on, water comes out.
You turn the faucet off, pump still runs, water shuts off.
You turn the power off, pump shuts off
You turn the power on, pump stays off until you turn the faucet on?

Is that accurate?

BTW--Watch out for those slow leaks.  I've been trying to track down a slow drip that runs the pump every 5-10 minutes for a short burst.  I left the boat with the power on for a couple of days (to keep the refer cold) and forgot to shutoff the water.  2 days later when I got to the boat, the tank was empty, the pump was running.  We shut it off, put water in the boat, turned it on, wouldn't pressurize.  Thought I burned up the pump (not the motor).  After a sail tried it again and it worked, so I guess it cooled down.  Shurflo makes a great pump.
1991 Catalina 34 Mark 1.5 w/ M35

Mike McDonald

Noworries,
Your assumptions are correct except for the last step.

Just to clarify:
You turn the faucet on, pump turns on, water comes out.
You turn the faucet off, pump still runs, water shuts off.
You turn the power off, pump shuts off
You turn the power on, pump stays off until you turn the faucet on?

Is that accurate?

When I turn the power back on, the pump runs automatically right away.  It was only the 1st time I powered up that the pump was off, but turned on when I turned on the faucet.  I'll check the strainer seal.  My boat has the separate strainer, it doesn't seem to have one on the pump itself.  My neighbor has a newer (1992) C-34, and he has a small screen built on to the side of the pump head.  I sent a note to Shurflo yesterday, but haven't heard back yet. 
By the way, the previous owner changed the tank configuration, so that the aft tank only feeds the toilet.  The Starboard tank feeds both sinks.  They apparently didn't like the smell of the water in the area where they were docked.  They wanted a fresh water flush.  I intend to change it back to the normal configuration as soon as I can and also to put some in-line shut off valves in.  That way I can work on things without emptying the whole tank. 
Mike.....
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Mike
You should already have two gate valves under the sink. One for each tank.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Mike McDonald on May 25, 2012, 04:53:34 AM

1.  When I turn the power back on, the pump runs automatically right away.  

2.  By the way, the previous owner changed the tank configuration, so that the aft tank only feeds the toilet.  The Starboard tank feeds both sinks.  They apparently didn't like the smell of the water in the area where they were docked.  They wanted a fresh water flush.  I intend to change it back to the normal configuration as soon as I can and also to put some in-line shut off valves in.  That way I can work on things without emptying the whole tank.  
Mike.....

Mike,

1.  That usually happens.  Folks should get in the habit of turning off the water pressure and then opening one of the faucets to bleed the air out when they leave the boat to take the pressure off the pump diaphragm, then shut the faucet.  When you return, and turn the pressure switch on again, the pump will run for a very short time.  It's a good diagnostic tool.

2.  That was very dumb of them. There was no need to do that for a clean smelling boat.  In the "101 Topics" a sticky topic on this board, there are these "Head Odor" posts:

Head Odors 101   http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5755.0.html

Head Odors 101.1 - "T" into sink drain:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5755.msg38216.html#msg38216

Head Hoses 101  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5738.0.html

If it was my boat, I would immediately replace the hose to the head before I (re)connected it to the potable water system.  I would also flush and recommission the water system, especially the aft tank.  Do a search on "recommission" and you'll find Peggie Hall's discussion of how to do so posted by Ken Juul.

Here it is:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5836.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike McDonald

Thanks to everyone for all of the ideas.  I finally got it working.  I re-tightened all of the hose clamps. I did find one was dripping a little.  Everything seems to be working fine now. 

Stu,
Thanks for the links.  The gate valves are gone, so I will be replacing them when I re-plumb the system.  There is only one in-line valve for the foot pump for the ice box, and the sea cock for the drain.  This forum is fantastic.  I really appreciate the fact that so many of you are willing to take the time to share your knowledge and experiences.  It is so helpful to a newbe like me.  Thanks again to all.
Mike......
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario

Ron Hill

Mike : There have been a number of articles in the Mainsheet tech notes and on this message board about replacing the factory water tank gate valves with ball valves.   

Good luck - not that difficult.   
Ron, Apache #788