Tack Line into cockpit

Previous topic - Next topic

Roc

Hi everyone,
I'm looking for ways on how to secure the Asym. Spinnaker tack line in the cockpit.  I plan to have the sheetblocks attached to the stern cleats.  So leading the tack line back to one of those might end up having too much on either one of those cleats.  My thought is I can run the line outside the stanchions and around the midship cleat that I have on the outer track.  That might help the tack line lead back into the cockpit.  However once in the cockpit, I'm trying to think how best to secure it.  Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks!!
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ron Hill

Roc : I have a small block that attaches to the head stay stem fitting for the tack control line (height control).  It then goes thru a small block attached to the middle stanchion base and finally to my #16 Lewmar winch.  The small Lewmar is mounted just aft of the primary Genoa winch on the cockpit combing.

The tack line is attached to the tack of the sail which is also attached at that point to a "beaded necklace" that goes around the furled Genoa. The necklace rolls up and down as the line is tightened or loosened in the cockpit.

Written this up a number of times.  
Ron, Apache #788

Gary Brockman

Roc -

I originally set a block on the stainless pin over the anchor roller with the tack line going through this block back to a fairlead on the top of the cabin next to the forward hatch, back to another fairlead on the cabin top, back to a cam cleaton toward the back of the cabin top.  I found that this set up did not allow for adjusting the tackline when it was loaded, so we now put an eye splice on the end of the tackline through the starboard stainless anchor pin, through a block with a snap shackle that attaches to the tack of the sail, down to a block on the port stainless anchor pin, and back to the cam cleat. This setup lets us trim the tack of the spinnaker with a 2 to 1 advantage even when fully loaded on a beam reach.

Gary
Squall
1986 Hull #231
Tall Rig/Fin Keel - Elliptical Rudder
M25XPB - Flexofold 2 Blade 15x10
Marina del Rey, California

Roc

Ron,
It sounds like you have a small winch mounted behind your main genoa winch.  I only have the two main winches that came with the boat.  I was hoping to do something using some low cost options, and able to set up and take off easily.

Gary,
I'm not 100% sure I can envision your set up, but from what I can understand, having something with some 2 to 1 advantage sounds helpful.  

I'm set with the mounting of the tackline and the sail, with a block and snap shackle at the stem.  My question is for any idea leading the tackline into the cockpit and once it's there, how and where to secure it.  One thought I had was simply mounting a cleat at the aft end of the outer track and just cleating if off there.  But that won't give me any mechanical advantage, as Gary has.

Gary Brockman

Roc

I will take some pictures when I get home on Monday and post them.

Gary
Squall
1986 Hull #231

Ron Hill

Roc : Yes, I too used only the 2 big primary Genoa winches for awhile

There are a couple of problems 1. the tack control line is only 5/16" and really too small for the bigger winches  2. I had the control line on the port side and when I was on a port tack it was great because the working sheet line was on the starboard winch and control line on the port side winch.  You can see the problem with a starboard tack.

I also found that it was really GREAT to have that small winch for the Genoa roller furling line, especially when the wind piped up to get that sail furrel-ed.  It has been worth its weight in gold - many times.

Treat yourself and stop trying to use only what is on the boat.   A thought 
Ron, Apache #788

Gary Brockman

Roc -

Sorry for the delay in posting pictures of how we run our tack line.

The first picture is how the tack line is attached to the bow using a spliced loop on the end of the tack line on starboard anchor roller retaining pin, through a small block attached to a snap shackle, down to another small block on the port anchor roller retaining pin, back to a fairlead on the forward cabin top.

The second picture shows how the line is led back to another fairlead on the cabin top to a cam cleat with a heavy line guide so the the line can be lead to the port halyard winch if necessary.

Hope this helps.

Gary
Squall
1986 Hull #231

Roc

Gary,
Thanks for the pics.  I like the purchase you did at the bow to give more leverage.  Since you run the line through fairleads, you either thread the tack line through them everytime you set up your sail, or you leave the line set.  Curious how you set the tack line and if you ever take it off.

Gary Brockman

Roc -

We set up the tack line and spinnaker sheets before we leave the slip if we think we will be using the asyo.

Gsry
Squall
1986 Hull #231

Ron Hill

Roc : As I mentioned I thread the tack line (everytime) thru a couple of small blocks attached to the base of the stanchions. 

There is no pressure to start out with so no pressure/pull on the stanchions.  Better than drilling holes into the deck or overhead!! 

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

sail4dale

I have been using the tack line that runs from the bow block through a stanchion mounted block to a turning (ratchet) block attached to my stern cleat.  When we need to adjust it, I run it to the winch and after it is set, the ratchet block prevents it from running out and I tie it off on the cleat.

What I really enjoy on True Luff is the double deck turning blocks for my jib sheet and spin sheet have stopper (locks) on them so I can
stop the sheet and use the winch for any other purpose I need.
Cat34 Mk II True Luff #1582  2001
San Pedro, CA (Port of Los Angeles)