Standard Horizon Matrix GX2100

Previous topic - Next topic

2ndwish

This isn't really a C34 question, but has anyone had experience with the Standard Horizon Matrix GX2100 DSC/AIS VHF? We're considering replacing our tired 1980's  VHF to something built this century. Two questions in particular- Is the AIS screen practical ? How would it be wired with a GPS which is already connected to a Raymarine ST 6000 autopilot system(through the auxiliary NMEA port on the autopilot computer?)?

Gary Brockman

I installed a Standard Horizon Matrix GX2100 radio right after it was first introduced (two years ago) and have been very happy with it.  The AIS function of the radio works but is not ideal due to the size of the screen.  You can spot the ships and find the basic information for each ship, but you are limited by the size of the screen.  I originally connected the radios AIS output to my mac computer which I use as a chart plotter for an expanded AIS view on my chart.  Last week I ordered a VESPER MARINE AIS WatchMate from West Marine which is on clearance sale for $99.66, down from $500.00 which I am going to connect to the AIS output of the GX2100 this week which should give me a full featured dedicated AIS. ( http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=37352&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50157&subdeptNum=50177&classNum=50183 )

Regarding the gps connection, the nmea output from your auto pilot should work, but you could run into a problem where the power of the nmea message is not strong enough for the radio to read. If this is the case, you have a number of options: you can purchase a Standard Horizon gps antenna for the radio; you can directly connect your current gps (handheld or chart plotter); or you can connect your gps from an nmea output from another device the gps is already connected to that has a stronger signal (instrument system, autopilot, radar, etc.).  You can also use an expander that separates one sender (your gps) into four outputs for up to four separate listeners.  You can't connect your gps directly to your radio and use the gps output from the radio (which I tried) because the radios gps nmea output is a very limited message.

Gary

Squall
1986 Hull #231
Tall Rig/Fin Keel - Elliptical Rudder
M25XPB - Flexofold 2 Blade 15x10
Marina del Rey, California

2ndwish

Thanks Gary- Just the information I was looking for. Let me know how it goes with the Watchmate.
T

mainesail

Quote from: 2ndwish on May 06, 2012, 07:50:26 AM
This isn't really a C34 question, but has anyone had experience with the Standard Horizon Matrix GX2100 DSC/AIS VHF?

Yes great product..

Quote from: 2ndwish on May 06, 2012, 07:50:26 AMIs the AIS screen practical ?

About as useless as tits on a bull..... Interface it to a GPS and you'll be much happier.

Quote from: 2ndwish on May 06, 2012, 07:50:26 AMHow would it be wired with a GPS which is already connected to a Raymarine ST 6000 autopilot system(through the auxiliary NMEA port on the autopilot computer?)?

That all depends upon which plotter you have. I have interfaced them with Garmin, Simrad, Lowrance and Furuno. Some Raymarine devices may need the speed of the Matrix AIS 2150. Standard Horizon has diagrams on their site for how to connect them to plotters. Pretty easy stuff.

Remember these are RX devices only and do not TX your location..
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

Stu Jackson

Gary, what was the reason to get the stand alone AIS screen if you already had the information available on your laptop?  Couldn't you just use the GPS dongle and a separate VHF antenna for the AIS feature through your laptop assembly?  If your laptop is down below at the nav station, where will you install the new AIS screen?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Gary Brockman

Stu -

I could have gotten along fine with the AIS on my mac, but I liked the idea of having a stand alone AIS system that was more functional in regards to alarms and filtering targets than the AIS on my mac for only $99.66.

I usually don't use my mac when I am just out for a daysail, so I am setting up the WatchMate on the same circuit as my vhf, so they will both go on at the same time when we go out for a sail. 

The WatchMate is being mounted next to my vhf by the nav station so I will still have to go below deck to read the AIS in case of an alarm. I am installing the alarm buzzer in the companion way so it can be heard from both above and below deck.

Gary
Squall
1986 Hull #231

Stu Jackson

Thanks, Gary.  Now I'm trying to understand the components.  To modify my earlier question a bit: Can you use a GPS dongle and a separate VHF antenna for the AIS feature?  In your case the radio is a  radio with an AIS built-in, and the GPS signal comes from your separate GPS at the nav station?  Thus, the AIS required antenna IS the radio antenna, too?  So am I correct in thinking that the new WatchMate is just like a repeater, bigger screen that the radio/AIS screen for when you don't use the Mac?  Am I getting close?   If I wanted the WatchMate (repeater?) to run I'd have to buy an AIS "operator" plus a VHF type antenna, and find a source of GPS input, too?  Can a dongle interface to the WatchMate or an AIS black box?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

David Sanner

One thing you might look into is update to the GX2100, GX2150.... easier to wire
up and a few other improvements. Here's a brief description of update:

"GPS in / DSC out 4800 and 38400 baud rate selections (Allows connection to GPS Chart Plotter with 1 NMEA IN/OUT), selectable True and Magnetic readings for AIS target and PA/FOG simultaneous operation with AIS display, GPS status page."

http://www.navagear.com/2010/12/17/new-standard-horizon-gx2150-vhfaisloudhailer-a-winner-for-sure/

I've seen them online for about $325.

Nice needing only a single VHF antenna (unless you're using an active splitter), simple wiring setup and being
able to keep the VHF on and AIS alert system with same bit hardware reducing power needs. (along with GPS feed)
David Sanner, #611 1988, "Queimada" San Francisco Bay

capndon

Have not ordered one yet, but considering this as a means to connect
my Matrix GX2100 to my Raymarine C80.

http://www.brookhouseonline.com/nmea_multiplexer.htm

Has anyone done this?

Don
1998 #1390 Ragtop

Gary Brockman

Stu -

Yes, the GX2100 vhf/AIS radio uses my existing vhf antenna for both the radio and the AIS functions. The radio has a gps input that is used for both the radios DSC function as well as the AIS. The gps input to the radio can come from any nearly any gps source you have: a dedicated gps antenna; a handheld gps; a chartplotter; or, your computer if it already has a gps attached.

Yes, in a sense the WatchMate is a repeater, except that it is better than the original AIS in that it provides a larger more usable screen and gives you better control of the AIS information.

The WatchMate model that West Marine has on sale for $99.66 needs to be connected to an AIS receiver (which can be a dedicated antenna or your vhf antenna with an AIS splitter) as well as a gps source. I don't know if the BU-353 USB GPS dongle (USB) will work directly with the WatchMate or an AIS black box.  I use one with my mac and GPSNavX software and my mac can output most nmea gps data to any nmea reader.

My current setup has a Garmin 76CS handheld (wired to the boats instrument circuit) connected to an expander that then connects to a Clipper GPS Repeater, my Tacktick intruments, the WatchMate, and my GX2100. My mac serves as my chartplotter that can be connected to the TackTicks and/or the AIS as needed. My X5 autopilot can be driven by either the Tackticks or the mac.
Squall
1986 Hull #231

Gary Brockman

Don -

You should check with Raymarine, but I don't think you need a multiplexer to connect AIS information from the GX2100 to your C80. I am pretty sure the C80 will take the GX2100 nmea AIS data in directly.
Squall
1986 Hull #231

kurt

I upgraded to AIS with the SH2100 and added a Brookhouse Imux to broadcast via wifi AIS to my iPad where I run iNavX chartplotting software which visually displays all the AIS targets.  Alarming is still managed by the radio.  I am impressed by the Brookhouse devices and how dialed in there standard mux capabilities are.  I would highly recommend them.  Both Brookhouse and iNavx where very responsive to my email queries.

I believe the mux is needed only where slower baud rate gps data needs to be combined with a faster baud rate for ais streams.  In my case a garmin 276c gps data is muxed with the sh2100 ais data and then broadcasted over wifi to the ipad.  (276c can't display high spead nmea data)  Since your plotter already has a gps signal I don't think a mux is required either.  One other advantage of a mux is that if a gps/plotter were to fail a mux can automatically default to a secondary gps which in my case is the iPad.  Again, brookhouse had this all configured in their standard setup.

Kurt