Oil in bilge

Previous topic - Next topic

wmwel@embarqmail.com

I know the first rule of the C 34 site is ALWAYS check the Forum before you post a question but I really couldn't find much about oil in the bilge. A few weeks ago I cleaned my bilge to perfection on our 1990 C 34. I noticed the water I removed was oily and nasty but since it had been a while since I performed this unsavory task, I wasn't too worried.  During a recent cruise, we heard the bilge pump clicking on so checked the bilge only to find oily water.  Cleaned it all out once again. Given the engine bilge is separate from the main bilge I have no idea where oil could be coming from.  BTW, the engine oil level is fine and there is little evidence of oil leakage around the dipstick or pan.  Thanks.

Ralph Masters

Was the oil light like diesel fuel or dark like engine oil??  I ask because we had a leak in our fuel tank and that required the replacement of the tank, and many hours of cleaning to get the diesel smell out of the boat.  It was like seing on an old deisel submarine, if anybody has had that pleasure.

Ralph and Ann Marie
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ron Hill

WM : As a "just in case" I'd suggest that you take a fuel diaper and cut it to size and place it under the engine.  That way you'll always know if anything is leaking from your engine by the color of the spot on the diaper.

If the oil is dirty dark engine oil; I'm going to guess that at one time a PO didn't tighten the dip stick all the way or some other way oil leaked from the engine - went dripped down under and thru the limber hole to the hull.  Now every time there is some dripping water from the packing gland that water picks up some of the old oil and deposits it in your bilge.

You can try to clean up the hull under the galley floor, but it's almost inaccessible.  Good luck

Ron, Apache #788

Indian Falls

Could a previous owner have stored a bottle of motor oil somewhere that it is now chaffed and leaking?
I found some really weird things in my boat... took two years to find some of them.

Secondly I had cracks in my fuel lines letting diesel get to the bilge, these were all under the head sink area.  No indication that I had leaks until the day I found two gals siphoned out of the tank when a crack finally opened up enough.  Luckily it happened while on the hard.

Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

David Urscheler

I'm going through the same issue. I plugged the limber holes with rubber plugs and put an oil pad under the engine. No drips. Checked the dipstick-tight. After closer inspection (and smelling) of the oily bilge water, I suspect it may be an exhaust hose or muffler leak. I'm still working on it and will give you an update if I discover the source

Stu Jackson

David, those are two very good candidates.  When we replaced our exhaust hose recently (in a recent topic with pictures  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6760.30.html), we eliminated that source of a leak at the muffler.  Our hump hose is leaking at the muffler inlet.  I posted about muffler construction that I'd learned on the co.com 'site:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6728.0.html  The only other "outside" water candidate I recall is the rudder post.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

David Urscheler

Thanks, Stu. Good info. My boat is a '91 and it looks like the OEM hose so, regardless, I think it's due for replacement. I also do not have a hump hose between the muffler and exhaust elbow, just a straight piece of exhaust hose. Since I found a small drip stain coming down from the muffler end, this may be the problem.

Footloose

When I replaced the exhaust hose with a hump hose I found that the top of the muffler was cracked.  I was able to repair it with fiberglass and epoxy.  Definetly check that out.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

wmwel@embarqmail.com

Thanks, all, for the great input and suggestions.  I suspect the muffler hose is the culprit, will head over to the boat in the next day or so and check it out.  Hey Stu, perhaps your son would love to visit the lovely West Coast of Florida!  (My son who lives near us is 6' 6" so I can't see him climbing in the lazarette as handily as your son did!)  Will keep you all posted. 8)

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

I had a similar problem and found a leak in the exhaust riser where the 5/8" Y connection is welded in, just above the hump hose connection. Could also just be a loose hose clamp. Good luck.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

karista

WM

Had the same problem recently on my 1990 Catalina, it turned out to be a leak at the exhaust hose where it is clamped on to the hull fitting. There was a black streak at the fitting down to the floor.
My Hull is 1012 and has the built-in swim platform which does not make it easy to get access to the clamp, there is no way I could do it at 6'. The Admiral is 5'2" and just was able to get back there. Also found both original scupper hoses leaking and cracked at the bent, which explained the leak I could not find for weeks. Installing new ones requires a very short person as the molded platform takes away most access. I would highly recommend that you check you scupper hoses and exhaust hose as you boat is the same age as mine.

Bernd
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

Terry Forshier

I am in Naples and may have passed you about a year or so ago when I was up sailing in Charlotte Harbor. (I have multi colored genoas) so you may remember. We spoke on the radio. I am going to sail up the coast for a few weeks next month and maybe we could anchor and meet somewhere near Boca Grande pass area. (Cabbage Key or ?) We plan to just poke North for a week and see the sights, then turn back home. if you are interested email me off the list. (sailsman10@comcast.net.... Terry

scotty

Thanks!!  I have hd oil in my bildge and not a clue where to look.  Now I have another thing to put on the to do list.  That list just keeps getting longer.   :D
Scotty

Stu Jackson

Quote from: scotty on May 03, 2012, 08:51:24 PM
That list just keeps getting longer.   :D

Trust us, it'll get shorter.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ralph Masters

The list will get shorter??  No way!!  I just added something about a Jackline and Ridgid Boom Vang to mine that I now have to consider and investigate.  It seems cross off one thing from that "list" and add two more.
BTW, I'm just finishing up installing a propane system and used Ron's write up on how he rebuilt his tank storage as the way to do mine.  Got the hoses from Sure Marine yesterday.

Ralph

Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987