Keeping the topsides clean .... And WAXED?!?!

Previous topic - Next topic

foobie

Somewhere in the wiki there is a very cool list of items to use for cleaning and maintaining our plastic tubs of joy.

One of the items, "Future (floor polish) - Returns shine to old fiberglass non-skid areas" seems like a good idea to me... that said, I can't find Future in any of the stores in SE Pennsylvania. Any thoughts on another cleaner to use for this? Also, once I get them sparkling and shiny, how do I keep them that way? Especially when out on the mooring for the season, away from shore side running water, etc.. Someone suggested it, but waxing the deck seems a lot like something out of a Stooges movie....  :shock:

Thanks all!

foo
Steve Eckfield

Jim Hardesty

I would be careful of using anything without testing on your boat, a small area in a safe spot.
I use   http://www.auroramarine.com/aurora/catalog/surestep/index.html
I used it on my 1979 S2 9.2   My decks went from dull and easily stained (was considering painting the deck) to looking much newer.  Bird and bug spots washed off.  Traction was still great on the nonskid areas.   It did take a lot of polish and work the first year much less on each year after.  Not work much on my 22 year newer C34.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Footloose

FWIW- I used Cleaning Detail-Non Skid Cleaner this week.  It did a better job than anything else I have used in the past.  I also tried it on the "smooth" deck surfaces and it took the "black stuff" off also.  It left a blue color in the gel coat at first but it was gone by the next day.

I use NuFinlsh on the top sides and the smooth/white deck surfaces.  Have not had any issues with slipping.  It lasts the summer, but we have a short season here in Vermont.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Ralph Masters

Here in San Diego I use NuFinish on the entire boat.  After we bought the boat we paid a pro to come and buff it out and wax it, he brought about 8 bottles of NuFinish.  I haven't paid a pro since.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Footloose

Glad to hear that I am doing something right. :clap
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain