Running more lines to the cockpit--how did you do it?

Previous topic - Next topic

noworries

I've got to run a bunch of lines aft to the cockpit.  Right now on the port side I've got the jib halyard and a spin halyard.  I've got another spin halyard on the mast.  On the starboard side I've got the main sheet and main halyard.  The boat had a jam cleat for the main sheet, but since I found a spare spinlock clutch cleat on the boat, I swapped it out.

At the mast I have two single blocks on each side... so I swapped one single for a double on the starboard side and ran the outhaul back on that side.  I tried running the main sheet and halyard without going through the deck organizer and it seems to work a lot better that way (less friction).  I haven't done anything else with it (still need to cleat it off somewhere)

So here's what I'm trying to accomplish:
1) DOWNHAUL - Rig a downhaul for the spin pole.  I've got a Harken Folding Padeye to put on the bow.  I'm thinking it should go just forward of the hatch?  Then I have to run it aft to the cockpit and cleat it off
2) OUTHAUL - Cleat off the outhaul in the cockpit somehow
3) REEF 1 - I've got another double block to swap out a single on the port side of the mast, so I can run the reefing line back to the cockpit.
4) TOPPING LIFT - Rig a topping lift for the spin pole... I've got an eye on the mast just below the steaming light, thinking about putting a small block on that, but then I have to figure out how to get it aft to the cockpit.  I'm guessing the blocks from the mast would be too big?
5) SPIN SHEETS AND GUYS - I'm going to use my old fairleads all the way back on the outside track for the spin sheets... and try and do some kind of tweaker arrangement to use the lazy sheet as the active guy... does that make sense?
6) I can't get my main halyard really tight without leaving it on the winch.  The last few inches the line starts to stretch and the clutch won't hold it.  Any tricks for this?  Somebody suggested putting a jam cleat in front of it but there's not much room and there has to be a better way?

Anyhow, if you'd be willing to post pics/suggestions/etc please do.  I want to get the parts ordered so I can get it rigged and fly a chute!

1991 Catalina 34 Mark 1.5 w/ M35

Ralph Masters

My only question/concern on this would be why put the main sheet in a spinlock?? 

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

Quote from: noworries on April 22, 2012, 08:05:20 PM
6) I can't get my main halyard really tight without leaving it on the winch.  The last few inches the line starts to stretch and the clutch won't hold it.  Any tricks for this?  Somebody suggested putting a jam cleat in front of it but there's not much room and there has to be a better way?

What kind of line do you use for your halyard?  If it's stretchy, then you should consider a different line.  NER Stay Set stretches too much.  Stay Set X is horrible for hand.  Samsom has good reviews.  New clutch?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

noworries

I don't know what line the main halyard is made out of.  I've been buying all my lines from cajun.

When I put the spinlock in I had to drill one hole too, but my 91 has a backing plate built in.  I wasn't expecting the aluminum shavings when I drilled the hole!
1991 Catalina 34 Mark 1.5 w/ M35