Poor FM Reception

Previous topic - Next topic

Analgesic

I have a Sony Marine AM/FM CD/Ipod player mounted above the Nav station that has given me several years of excellent service.  Unfortunately, this Winter while on the hard I found the FM reception suddenly became terrible with very bad static while the AM remains clear.  The unit is mounted in such a way that it would be very difficult to remove for service.  Using a light and mirror, I found all the wiring to be  attached.  The back right side of the unit has a plug in wire that starts thick and then has a very thin tail going nowhere which, when pulled out, eliminates all reception, AM and FM, so I assue it is the antenna.  The owners manual is useless as is the Sony web site so I thought I'd ask the many engineers out there if they know what happened and what I should do next.  Thanks.
Brian McPhillips
Brian McPhillips  1988 #584  M25XP

Ron Hill

Brian : You most probably have a bad FM antenna connection. 
I'd try pulling out that antenna connection, spraying it with Radio Shack "turner cleaner", and then plug back in.

If that doesn't work then replace the antenna.   
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

Brian,  Because your problem came on suddenly, my first thought would be to look around and see if you are in a place where there is signal interference.  A quick, but not a sure way, would be to try a portable radio in and around your boat.   May be you don't have a problem at all.       Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Brian : Jim has a great suggestion - just try another FM radio and see if you get the same interference. 

If the other radio has a clear signal then your antenna is the probable culprit!!
Ron, Apache #788