Scupper Drains and Dark Streaks

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Masters

OK, time for a new line.  When the dew/mist/rain runs down the deck and over board via the four scuppers on deck it leaves dark stains running down the sides.  I have been toying with the idea of putting some 3/8 hose barbs in and RTV them in so they protrude out more and maybe direct the run off into the water vice down the sid.  Or I could even run short hose off them to ensure inport that the run off does not leave it's mark.  I scrub them off and rewax the area about every two months.  does any body else have the same problem, and has any body else done any thing simlar to fight the marks left??   :donno:

Ralph

Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Stu Jackson

Ralph, this was a Mainsheet tech note idea from the early C42s.  Just get some clear hose and shove it in the hole, no glue needed.  I thought about doing it, but figured regularly cleaning the depressions was easier.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Ralph : I put the "Tip" of using a piece of clear hose in the C34 Mainsheet Tech notes MANY years ago.
We first passed it around Fleet 12 at our first meeting in 1989!

You'll need about a 4/5" piece of hose for each of the 4 scupper holes.

You can pull out the hoses as needed in the winter or if there is a conflict with a travel lift straps, etc.  
Ron, Apache #788

Bob K

If you opt for the clear plastic hose pieces, check them for clogs every so often and keep a bunch of spares on hand.   Mine get knocked out when rafted up, and by the springline at the dock.
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

waterdog

I had a problem with stains from the output of a water maker.   I cut a circular disc out of the side of a bleach bottle and rolled it up and stuck it in. Like one of those wine bottle drippy spout things.   Looks good.  Not as thick as hose (better flow - fewer blockages). Would probably work equally well on the scuppers.    Wouldn't cost a lot or take much effort to try it out.
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Ralph Masters

Thanks for the replies, I knew I could get to the bottom of it on this board.  Get some clear hose today at HD and "get er done".

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

efhughes3

I've not seen this yet. Ralph-do you get accumulation of dirt on your deck that washes off, causing this? If I go back 17 years, when I kept a boat on Harbor Island, I seem to recall my boat getting dirtier than what I see today on Shelter Island-which I attributed to being closer to the airport.
Ed Hughes
La Vie Dansante-1988 C34 Hull 578
SDYC

Ralph Masters

Ed,
We're at the Pier 32 Marina and it's under the flight path for all the navy helos so we do get a bunch of black crap on the decks.  The is picked up by the dew and drips over the side via the scuppers, and leaves a dark streak down the side.  I use "SoftScrub" to clean it off about once a quarter, it's a Q-1.  Then re-wax the whole area frome scupper to scupper.  I guess you could say it puts me in "tune" with my boat.
We have a good friend that was at Marina Cortez across from the air port that had a lot of air plane dirt too and they just moved to Kona Kai and have seen less jet soot.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987