Galley (Nav Station Hanging Locker) Shelves

Previous topic - Next topic

Clay Greene

Here are a couple of our other spring project, installing shelves in the hanging locker in the salon and the aft cabin.  Both were far underused spaces on our boat, which was a real waste because there is a lot of unused storage space in both places.  The upper shelves in both locations are supported by wood blocks that are bolted through with washers on both sides to support the weight.  The shelves are three-quarter oak, which is heavy, but the shelves themselves are not going to take much weight.  The lower shelves in both locations are free-standing.  The lower shelf in the salon hanging locker has "feet" that are standing on a ledge below the frame of the locker.  The lower shelf in the aft cabin locker is just sitting in place.  We'll see if it moves when we are underway but it seems pretty secure.  I had made wood blocks to glue in place underneath but we are going to hold off on that for right now to see if they are necessary.  
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Roc

In the hanging locker in the salon, I put slide out shelves.  Got the idea from this site.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Clay Greene

Very nice.  Interesting to see the difference in dimensions for that locker between the I and II boats. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Jim Hardesty

Roc,
That's real nice.  Solves the galley storage problem.  But, where do you put your foul weather gear?
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ralph Masters

Both of these are very nice added storage.  The biggest problem I have on Ciao Bella is that I have a large loop in the toilet discharge hose in that locker that goes up and back down through a vented loop going to the holding tank.  This is along the aft bulkhead and goes to the port following the curve of the hull and then back down and through the forward.  I also have my battery charger in there on the forward bulkhead just inside the door.  So it's more then just a bit tight in there already. 
I guess the question I'd have for Stu, Ron and Peggy, all the brains of this out fit, is do I really need that vented loop on that sewage hose from the toilet to the tank?
With out that loop the hose would run flat along the bottom of the locker as I see in all the other photos and I would open up a tremendous amount of space in there.

Thanks,

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on April 10, 2012, 02:18:51 PM
Roc,
That's real nice.  Solves the galley storage problem.  But, where do you put your foul weather gear?
Jim

In the head.  There's already a drain in the sole, right?  Like Ron, we installed a couple of hooks.  Used one just today for our rain gear.

Roc, the answer is YES, do not do without it (3/4 inch line).  We have our slide out shelves (pictured in the wiki and Projects) in our locker, and the vented loop in the port side as you described.  It's in one of our wiki pictures.  http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Hanging_Locker_Upgrade

That vented loop is for the head pump 3/4 inch line.  Two ways to deal with it:  1)  remove the sliding shelves once every six years to service the loop, or 2) move the loop into the head compartment.  I'm still debating (with myself!) which one I'm gonna do, but either way, I'll need to get back there. Putting it in the head, at first, sounds yucky, but if you look it can easily be hidden behind the curtain.

We do not have a vented loop on our 1 1/2 inch head outlet hose.

Peggie's recently retired (see co.com) so she may not chime in here anymore.

When offshore, we keep our thru hull overboard discharge open and haven't sunk yet.

OTOH, even with that 1 1/2 inch vented loop, you still may be able to get sliding shelves to fit.

While the sliding shelves have got to have less capacity that fixed shelves, I've always wondered how folks with fixed shelves ever get all the way to the port side!  :D

And if I was going fixed, I'd try for three shelves, and fiddles half way back and maybe stops at the port ends, too.  Three shelves would give you more storage for the available spacde and nothing needs to be upright anyway.  Just brainstorming... 
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

efhughes3

I used mine for mechanical goodies, and project supplies. Kind of my mini-shop.
Ed Hughes
La Vie Dansante-1988 C34 Hull 578
SDYC

scotty

I just put in a box around the electronics in my locker, and now am figuring out what I want to do with it.  Thanks for the ideas.   But.....

Peggy is retired? May not be with us??  Wow.  Stu, I don't know what co.com is. Can you direct me to it?  I'd like to thank Peggy for her great work on this forum (and I'm sure in other areas as well).  Can we as an association formally thank her in some way?
Scotty

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ralph Masters

I tried retirement once, it ain't all it's cracked up to be.  Was retired for almost three months.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Ralph,
That must have been before you had a boat.   :D
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ralph Masters

You got that right.  I could use a little time off just to keep up with the projects.  If we sail Saturday and Sunday, we don't have time to do cleaning, waxing or any of the other little things that the boat needs.  Oh well, another year or so and I'll try that retiring thing again.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ron Hill

Jim : I do as Stu does. 
I have a vented loop in that hanging locker near the hull and still have the the cloths hanging bar for the Wet WX gear and Jackets. 
Early on I raised that bar about 2 inches for better hanging.
Ron, Apache #788

Roc

We use the hanging locker in the V-Berth, starboard side in MkII.  To loose the hanging locker in the Salon wasn't a problem.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Stephen Butler

We went with marine ply shelving with teak trim in the v-berth locker and found a plastic/nylon chest with 3 deep drawers from WalMart, for the navigation locker.  The chest fits perfectly and the drawers drop into place so will not open in a seaway, while still leaving room at the back for hoses, etc.  Wet gear now hangs in the head thanks to Ron's idea of ss screw-on loops.   We keep talking about replacing the chest with metal slide out shelving, or something more "proper,"  but the admiral likes her current arrangement and it does work well. 
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023