Galley Sink Installation

Previous topic - Next topic

Clay Greene

Attached is a photo of our new sink installed in the galley.  The sink is a Polar Ware 102-1-2, which is currently selling on Amazon for $93 plus shipping.  This is in contrast to the Catalina Direct replacement sink, which they have listed for $537.  Nice contrast between marine and non-marine pricing!  I am sure Catalina Direct could make a persuasive argument as to why their sink is far superior but it should come with someone to wash the dishes for that price difference, in my humble opinion.  The Polar Ware sink does come with mounting bolts, which I took off with a cutting wheel rather than drill unnecessary holes into the formica.  It also comes without the faucet hole drilled and that was the most difficult part of the process.  I tried a bi-metal hole saw but all that did was scratch the surface.  I ended up drilling a half-inch hole with a titanium drill bit and then expanding it with the Dremel cutting wheel.  It took a little time but I ended up with something roughly circular.  The good news is that it is covered by the faucet and I am willing to bear the scorn of future boat owner when he or she removes the faucet.  We did end up installing the bar-style drains to catch food, which is a nice upgrade. I'll also post a second photo with the cutting board cover we made to protect the lesser-used side. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Clay Greene

Sorry, forgot to mention that we also installed an -in-line water filter in the cold water supply line for the faucet.  We should have taken a photo before we put the sink back in but the filter is installed on the port wall underneath the sink and the tubing runs under the sink to the cold water supply line.  We can change the filter by reaching up through the door that opens to the hot water heater.  That was a very easy project to do with the sink out and very inexpensive - $40 for the 3M "Filtrete" filter from Amazon.  You can find a lot more expensive "marine/RV" filters on line but the filtration seems to be the same.  I suppose the marine filter would have been better if we were going to install it downstream of the pump but we did not want to filter all the water on the boat - just the cold water going to the galley. 

Ron Hill

Clay : Nice job!! 

I'll bet you were surprised at all of the extra hose that you eliminated (speeding up the draining), by installing the bar sink stainless drain fittings and the 1 1/4" PVC solid piping !! 
Ron, Apache #788

Clay Greene

Thanks, Ron.  I actually was talked out of using PVC by a tech representative from Forespar, which makes Marelon plumbing fittings.  He claimed that the PVC gets brittle with age and tends to crack in sailboat installations.  We've never been bothered too much by the slower drain so we stayed with the one inch nylon reinforced water hose, although we did make it a more direct run.  Seems to work fine so far. 

Ron Hill

Clay : Your changing to 1" hose is better for draining than the 3/4" hose installed by the factory.  Shorting the hose run, also will make a big difference in drain speed !! 
Ron, Apache #788

efhughes3

Nice info Clay, thanks for posting!
Ed Hughes
La Vie Dansante-1988 C34 Hull 578
SDYC

awesome34

I am reviving this topic because I believe I am going to need to replace my sink and the Catalina direct price is now up to $670.  I am looking at this sink
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/vollrath-102-1-2-17-x-25-2-compartment-20-gauge-stainless-steel-drop-in-sink-10-deep/922102-1-2.html instead.  One could google Vollrath 102-1-2 to find other similarly priced sources for that sink.  Anyone have any recommendations on sourcing a replacement sink? I am also interested in any faucet model recommendations because I will have to replace that as well. 

Thanks,
Eric

Jim Hardesty

I've purchased/installed a few as home remodeling projects.  Something that changes the price, a lot, was the finish.  More shine more cost.  You may save by buying from non-marine sources, just know what you are getting. 
Your boat your choice.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

KeelsonGraham

I find Catalina Direct to be very expensive. It's also very expensive for shipping.
2006 Catalina 34 Mk II. Hull No:1752. Engine: M35 BC.

Ron Hill

Eric : It looks to me like Clay went with a Moen Kitchen faucet.  I've got an identical one in my kitchen!!

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

Nicholia

My sink is fine, but was loosened by the PO who planned to replace it.  That got me wondering and I don't know why I would replace it with a double sink.  I would think a single bowl would be much more usable as I don't fill the sink at any point for soaking or whatever.  Why go double?
Brenda
Ziva, 1986 C34 (87 Model yr), Hull #304, M25
Seattle, WA

waughoo

I happen to like the double for stowing while underway.  It allows us to put things in one side to keep them from flying about and then still have a second basin to use that is unobstructed.  I will agree that we rarely use them as soaking tubs though.  When not moving, the larger single basin would likely be appreciated.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte