Mattress for V-berth

Previous topic - Next topic

horsemel

Does anybody have a "reasonably" priced source for custom memory foam mattress toppers for the v-berth.  We've switched to camping in the v-berth and our WalMart queen size that works great in the aft doesn't work well in the bow.  I've thought about getting another one from Walmart and then using the two and splitting them, but then you got the seam in the middle.
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

Ron Hill

Mark : FYI, the V-berth is a king size (at the head). 
Ron, Apache #788

Indian Falls

We've been researching this for months.  There is no ''reasonably'' in custom boat mattresses.
Otis mattress from Buffalo NY offers a multi-density, layered foam mattress for just over 800$ and the place in North Carolina that makes Bennetau mattresses was over 1000$.  All are two piece and require that you fix that small section above the v-berth storage access permanently in place or at least so it can't fall out.
We tried the Froli sleep system last season with the old cushions in the v berth.  Much improved but not good enough for my wife...(princess and the Pea)  By the way the Froli is available in the ''want ad" section of the forum.   One fella can be found on you-tube cutting twin mattresses with bolt cutters and resewing the edging with a hand held sewing machine  etc..etc, looks easy but ...

If you find something you're happy with please post the outcome!

Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Roland Gendreau

We had a custom mattress made for our V Berth by a small,  local mattress company. They used the cushions as a template and made a 2 piece mattress set, split down the middle.  The price was quite reasonable (around $500 about 4 years ago)and the comfort is so much better than a topper over the cushion.   For those in MA and RI, here is the company we used:  

http://www.ecinindustries.com/index.htm

Roland Gendreau
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

We purchased a king sized memory foam topper at Costco, laid it out on the dock, then laid the v-birth mattress on top and cut it to size with a electric carving knife. Worked well and was very comfortable. We used it on top of the original v-birth mattress.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Stu Jackson

Quote from: horsemel on April 06, 2012, 05:45:37 PMbut then you got the seam in the middle.

Just curious...what is the concern about the split in the middle?  We find the V berth so spacious that each of us has our "own sides" of the V berth and haven't come near the middle in ages! :D

Have you considered taking your existing piece and simply cutting it down the middle and sliding each to the outboard side?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys : I go along with Roland.  There is NO substitute for a custom made mattress! 

Treat yourself !!   
Ron, Apache #788

BillG

try overstock.com for a king size foam and cut to fit
Bill
Rock Hall, MD

Indian Falls

The C36 assoc website has a project posted where Bill Matley modified two off the shelf Twin mattresses from sams club.   Looks easy enough.  I may try this if I can't find a mattress under 900.00.

http://www.c36ia.com/old_site/articles/upgrades/Mattress.htm

If I do this we'll be sleeping on them at home on the floor to make sure the comfort we expect is there.
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

scotty

The PO of our boat bought a custom mattress from Handcraft Mattress Company.  I would have considered this really excessive - however, it is the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in.  And the Admiral loves it.
Scotty

Kevin Henderson

Mike,

I love the idea of the cutting the memory foam mattress you buy from Costco and using the existing mattress as a template. 

Now if we could just find some sheets that fit  :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

TonyP

Kevin

I went to our local material store (Spotlight) and found some $9/mtr sheet fabric and as there was a mark on it I got it for 50% off and had a machinist sew it up to my measurements (fitted sheet) ... ended up sooo inexpensive.
Just a thought
cheers
Tony

Tony Plunkett
C34 Moonshadow
1992  Hull#1174
Pittwater / Newport
NSW Australia

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Kevin,
Again, we just used king sized fitted sheets. The wide part at the back fits pretty close, then we just tucked the excess in all around. It worked for us.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Mick Laver

We did the same trick with the Costco memory foam on our 30, and it worked great. The princess stopped feeling the peas. So far the 34's cushions have been comfortable enough (with a couple of polartec blankets for extra padding) that we haven't needed the memory foam, but we wouldn't hesitate to go that route again.
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

Clay Greene

We have Tufted Topper foam mattress covers for both the V-berth and the aft cabin and really love them.  They are at all the sailboat shows and offer discounts.  It is more than a store memory foam product but well worth the extra money.  They send you a template and then make the cover to match your cushions. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin