Anchor Locker Drain Through Hull Fitting

Previous topic - Next topic

Les Luzar

I am going to replace the anchor locker hose and through hull fitting in a few weeks and would like to know if it is stubborn to remove, does it screw out, or just pop out? A dock neighbor said that it screws out and I thought that it would simply push out since it has a nut on the inside of the hull. Are there any tricks to removing it if it is stuck? Or should it simple pop out with a hammer? Just trying to think ahead before I start this job. It has been leaking and has finally come to the top of the list.
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Stephen Butler

Cannot directly answer your question as the yard replace ours while we were at the stern doing another job.  It took them less than 10 minutes to replace so am guessing it is not a great task to perform.  Hope this is of some help.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Terry Forshier

I just replaced the thru hull fitting on my boat for the anchor well drain. There was a crack in the fitting and everytime i sailed I had a drip into the boat. Amazin how much water a drip can cause. I had looked all over for that leak and finally decided it was in this fitting. I caulked it inside and out but it still leaked. It looked fine but crumbled when I went to take it off. Mine just popped out. Hardest part was finding the right angle piece that screwed into the thru hull (fine threads) and then was the correct hose diameter. I finally just cleaned up the old one and used it. fine now.

Ralph Masters

Les,
When you remove the hose and then the nut on the inside it should just "pop" out, it may require a bit of encouragement, but nothing more then a tap or two.  Just did ours during the hull out last month.

Ralph

PS - it just amazes me how everybody seems to have the same problems all at once.  I mean if one boat has a leaking whatever, it seems everybody has to fix the same thing.  I love being a boat owner, what else would I do with all my free time and that pesky money that would other wise just pile up.
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Les Luzar

Thanks for the input. I know this is a simple job, but any insight I can get before I start a project, the smoother it may go. 

Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Ron Hill

Les : As Ralph mentioned like most thru hull fittings it is a 2 piece unit. 

The thru hull with the nipple end and a nut that threads on from the inside.   
Ron, Apache #788