Microwave

Previous topic - Next topic

scotty

If you decide to take out the plugs, one technique is to use a drywall screw (put it in the chuck of a drill) and slowly and carefully drill it into the plug.  It breaks the plug apart and might help get it out without damaging the surrounding wood.  If the surrounding wood is damaged, you can get slightly larger plugs (or make them with a plug cutter) and put them in.  Good luck on your project.
Scotty

Ron Volk

Steve,
I have the same problem, I have a micro mounted above the reefer that has bit the bullet & needs to be replaced.  The one that's there is an old GE that is 9 1/2" high which just fits in.  After extensively searching the web I can find no new microwaves that are less than about 10 to 10.2" high.  I found one used micro like the one that's in there but they wanted more for it than the cost of a new one.  I think I will cut the bottom section of the teak off where it's routed out for the sliders, this will give me close to 1" more of space, then will have plenty of options as to the type of microwave we want.
Ron - GOOSE III - Hull 1235 - 1993
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA

Stu Jackson

Seems to me that if one was going to put a new microwave in above the fridge, then assuming one is careful with the woodwork to avoid dings and dents, the sliding doors would no longer be used in the left, or forward position anyway, so the tracks are not an issue to even consider.

One could make a nice cased opening for the front and cover the existing woodwork, similar to the "frame" surrounding our unit in the picture I posted earlier.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys : We all should agree that space on a C34 is at the premium.  

I'd strongly recommend that before anyone installs a microwave under the galley sink just ask yourself  --  would I mount a stereo receiver or any other electronic device under any of the sinks in my home??  A thought

The only reason that I mention that stupid thought is -- that sinks do leak !!   
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Ron Hill on April 04, 2012, 05:01:28 PM
The only reason that I mention that stupid thought is -- that sinks do leak !!   

Ah, shucks, I guess I should have been looking for that great big SPARK for the past 13 years.

Either I missed it, or it's gonna happen sometime in the near future.

However, what seems to be missing in this point of view is that there is a big BOX around the entire microwave.

Maybe the leaks are draining around the box...

This idea was presented in one of the earliest Mainsheet magazines.  My PO happened to be one of those who chose to do it.

I'm glad he did.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

waterdog

We put a larger microwave facing the galley above the nav table.   Love the location and it doesn't take up any drawer and shelving space.   In fact we gained important storage.    Lost the rotating platter thingy on a port tack.   It's in the wiki:
http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Hanging_Locker_Upgrade

Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Ron Hill

As I did say -- "Sinks do leak"!!   I also believe that most microwaves have a metallic, conductable, rustable, cheap, not waterresistant, exterior case.

Sink leaks are why a large number of MKI owners have had to replace their "rusty" water heaters - not from a internal leaks, but because of water from above !

There have been a number of articles written on changing out the MKI drain, because of the slow water flow and the Catalina factory installed "Micky Mouse" plastic sink adapters and drain tail pipes from each of the sinks. 
The plastic fittings are almost impossible to tighten those inexpensive plastic parts with out breaking/cracking them.  That why most of us changed to the metal sink drains and the larger, cheaper, PVC, stronger, faster drain system!!

I myself got tired of fixing the factory sink drains and the poor grade sink stoppers.

Another water source is from the nearly 12+ hose clamps that Catalina installed for the galley & head sink drains and  to route both hot and cold water hoses.

Hear "rrrump" of the water pump and no drips from the water heater or faucets? - start looking at that maze of hose clamps under the sink!!

So, even with the "SPARK Remark", I still recommend that nothing more "electrical" be mounted under the galley sink.  Unless it is a non conductive. 

It's your boat - so do what you wish. 
I still wouldn't recommend mounting a microwave under the sink - MY openion. 

Ron, Apache #788

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Ron, as an FYI, my stainless sink actually rusted through on the bottom. Looking up from where the water heater is, I could see daylight. So it's not just the clamps you have to worry about, it's the sink too. And yes, stainless steel does rust.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Bobg

waterdog, thats where mine is, only not as fancy, smaller unit sits on that shelf with the door opening above the nav station. never a problem and out of the way, in fact I made a book shelf that is mounted above the microwave
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Clay Greene

Yes, I can't find one less than 10 inches in height and that is the key measurement.
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Clay Greene

We have achieved microwave!  This is a Haier .7 cu ft microwave, $57 from Wal-Mart.  We had to take a little more than half an inch out of the top of the opening to get it to fit.  We're very much looking forward to not having to make sure the microwave is strapped down to the stove every time we go out sailing. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Ron Volk

Looks Good!!!

Did you just slide it in and drop it behind the bottom lip or is it secured in any other way?
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA

Ron Hill

Guys : FYI, where "clay" installed his microwave is where the Catalina factory installed them when the boat was built.

Also FYI, the shelves above the fridg/stove height changed from the 1986/87/88 height to the 1989s - just for that microwave option.  Some history.   
Ron, Apache #788

Ron Volk

The trouble is they made the space at the time for a microwave that was 9 1/2" high (like the one we have in there now that has failed.

Our boat was built in 1993, unfortunately, they do not make microwaves at that height anymore. The smallest you can get now is 10 - 10.2" so the space has to be cut out either on the top or bottom.
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA

efhughes3

That definitely looks nice. BUT, that is pretty valuable real estate to us, and I don't think we could sacrifice it for the m'wave that is only used periodically.
Ed Hughes
La Vie Dansante-1988 C34 Hull 578
SDYC