Holding Tank Second Vent

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

I'm planning on adding a second vent line when I pull this spring.  I borrowed Fred's picture because I forgot to take one last weekend.  The actual space in the MKI is different, but the space above the tank appears to be about the same, which causes problems.  Peggy has said on numerous occasions that more vent is good, so I intend to keep the original stanchion vent in use.  I see these as my options.
1.  replace the current "L" with a "T" and vent both lines using the existing vent hole.
2.  Move the current vent line to the end of the tank (A).  It will be easiest to add the vent to the back wall because of vertical clearance.  But worried about it plugging when the tank gets full.
3.  Add the second vent somewhere on the top, perform surgery on either the removable cover or fiberglass to allow clearance.

If option 2 or 3 is chosen, what is the best method for putting the fitting into the tank?
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Bobg

very interested in what you come up with, I am also at the point you are.  Been thinking about point A for me, I just don't see the room for method 3 if you are going to install the one inch that Peggy recommends.
Curious what Peggy has to say about method 1, the tee instead of the L.
I have already installed a clear see through removable 3" beckson port in the top of my tank so I can get my hand in there to tighten locknuts or what ever. Also I find it invaluable to really, really, clean the tank before winter layup.
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Ken Juul

Thinking about it somemore.  I think I need to modify choice 2.

2. Add new vent line to near the top of the back tank wall near A.  If the vent gets plugged when the tank is full, it will be easy to clean out with a hose because of the easily accessed thru hull.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

Ken, with #1 would would be restricting the opening to the original diameter, like a bottleneck, so I doubt the new vent line wold be effective.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Peggie Hall

1.  replace the current "L" with a "T" and vent both lines using the existing vent hole.

Definitely NOT an option...nor is any other idea that would connect two vent lines a viable option...'cuz the air will just travel across the top  of the tee instead of going through the tank.

I like #3: Add the second vent somewhere on the top...you'd need about 3" clearance above the tank.

IMO a Uniseal http://www.aussieglobe.com/uniseal1.htm is the easiest way to put a new fitting into a plastic tank--which is what your tank SHOULD be if it's a Catalina OEM tank...no locknuts or anything else that would require acess to the inside of the tank needed.

We may need to have a phone chat to sort out the best way to do this. 30 minutes on the phone will accomplish more than 50 more posts here.  Send me an email if you'd like to take me up on that offer.
Peggie Hall
Specializing in marine sanitation since 1987
Author "The NEW Get Rid of Boat Odors - A Guide To Marine Sanitation Systems and Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-Boat-Odors/dp/1892399784/

Ken Juul

I thought that #1 was a non starter, but wanted confirmation.
Also not real keen on either version of #2, unless I can get the vent on top.  But the area around the back of the tank is getting crowded.  One more line will complicate replacing the macerator or new cable runs to the electrical panel.

So #3 it is.  The Uniseal is a neat product!!!  Thanks, that will save a tremendous amount of work.  It will be a couple weeks before I'm back to the boat to measure and sort out the best way to accomplish this.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Lance Jones

My question is that bringing both to the same vent would equal only have one vent line anyway as they are exiting the same size, single opening.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Jim Hardesty

My thought is with 1 vent line the tank would only vent.  In..Out no sizable exchange of air.  With 2 vents, an exchange of air(oxygen).  Is this a good theory?
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Peggie Hall

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on March 29, 2012, 08:18:19 AM
My thought is with 1 vent line the tank would only vent.  In..Out no sizable exchange of air.  With 2 vents, an exchange of air(oxygen).  Is this a good theory? Jim

That depends on how long the vent line is, size of the diameter, whether it's straight or has bends in it, and how steep the rise is.

A 1" vent line that's absolutely straight, no more than 5' long, doesn't rise more steeply than 45 degrees, AND has nice open bulkhead thru-hull with no cover or screen in it will exchange air with the gasses in the tank just fine.  The longer and/or steeper the line, the harder time it has exchanging air...bends in the line make it impossible. When none or most of the above is possible, a second vent may be needed...sometimes aeration is the only solution.

In a perfect world, all toilets would be right behind the v-berth...the tank would be under the v-berth...and the vent line would run forward off the top of the bow end of the tank to exit the hull about 2' aft of the stem, about a foot below the toe rail. 'Cuz that guarantees that air will be continuously forced into the vent any time the boat is underway or on a mooring or anchor.  Unfortunately, boat builders often have a different idea what makes a perfect world, so we have to work with what the give us.

Peggie Hall
Author "The NEW Get Rid of Boat Odors - A Guide To Marine Sanitation Systems and Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"

Bobg

Ken, I have 1988 and I see no viable way of using option 3 with a 1" fitting on my tank, there simply isn't any room on top of the tank under the hardboard cover for a fitting and hose, I am curious on what you come up with there and where you vent it to the outside, please keep us informed thanks  Bob
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Peggie Hall

...I have 1988 and I see no viable way of using option 3 with a 1" fitting on my tank, there simply isn't any room on top of the tank under the hardboard cover for a fitting and hose...,

Where on the tank is the existing vent fitting--on the top, or AT the top of a vertical surface?  In either case, is it closer to the hull or closer to the centerline of the boat?
Peggie Hall

Ken Juul

The tank has a recessed area on the top for the original vent.  Looks like easter will get in the way of boat work, so be at least 2 weekends before I can take a look at how to do it.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Indian Falls

The physical location of an added second vent seems very similar to having as a test, a modified pump out cap with a vent hole in it.

I wonder if this would be a fair test to see if it's worth the trouble to punch new holes in tank and hull and then find out it's not really working. 

I can't seem to find a way to add another vent either. 

I'm trying to have the "phone call with Peggy" about this very topic also, I just can't find the time during the day to call, maybe I won't have to if you get yours in and it solves the problem.
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Paulus

Hi Ken, I changed my vent line last year from the stanchion to a thru hull.  The problem we had was that the vent in the stanchion seemed to plug easily.  Used a small hand pump to clean it out.  I took the stanchion off and noted that the small diameter in the base of the stanchion.  I filled all the holes and ordered new stanchions so that I could move the gate more to mid ship position.  We have always used odorless in our boat and motor home.  Never had problems with odors.
Cool Change 1989 #944

Peggie Hall

The physical location of an added second vent seems very similar to having as a test, a modified pump out cap with a vent hole in it.

Won't work...'cuz the pumpout line comes from the bottom of the tank...it can't provide a source of air above the surface. At best it could prevent a tank implosion from the suction of an excessively strong pumpout.

I'm trying to have the "phone call with Peggy" about this very topic also, I just can't find the time during the day to call.

So what's stopping you from letting me know what WILL work for you?

Peggie Hall