Pencil Zinc

Previous topic - Next topic

Vic Suben

:sleepy:When replacing the pencil zinc in the heat exchanger, should the threads of the brass holder be wrapped with Teflon (plumber's) tape?

Vic
Vic
Surprise, Hull No. 453

Stu Jackson

No.  You want the best electrical contact between the threads.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

scotty

I put mine on with a little extra "omph".  When I don't, I've found that it is un-screwed when I replace it!
Scotty

Kevin Henderson

Nope.... Metal to metal   :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Ron Hill

Vic : You have to have metal to metal contact for an anode to work.

Make sure the female threads on the brass holder are clean and also make sure the female threads on the Heat Exchanger that the holder screw into are clean.   I found the best tool to use is a "battery terminal brush tool".  The tapered metal wire brush is easy to insert into the female threads, turn a couple of times and any junk is cleaned off. 

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Les Luzar

Ron,
Thanks for that advice on the battery terminal brush. I never really cleaned out the female threads on the heat exchanger before replacing the zinc. I just used my pinkie finger to make sure the threads were clean. But now I am going to take that old battery cleaning brush in my garage to the boat and use it as you suggest. I never work on my house or car anyway. There is no time left after I finish working on my boat!  :shock:
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA