Port vinyl coated lifeline failed, Starboard side is next... and soon

Previous topic - Next topic

foobie

So it looks like I am going to learn how to use a swaging tool this spring (Along with re-bedding a couple of stanchions.)

The tool below seemed like a good deal to me. Thoughts?

Also - Should I give up the vinyl? What are the downsides to raw wire?

Thanks All!
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________   
New Campbell Chain 7679038 1/16-3/16 Hand Swage Tool 18" - $38 online

Completely portable. Hardened jaws securely swage loops up to 2 ton capacity. Special instructions and sash number system assure reliable results.
Steve Eckfield

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Steve Sayian

Most of the new boats are coming with raw wire as that's what is called for in off-shore racing rules just for the reason the old one failed--- corrosion that can't bee seen.
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Roc

The new C355's come with plain wire, no white vinyl cover, and it looks pretty good. Takes a little getting used to, but it looks pretty good.  Plus like mentioned, don't have to worry about corrosion.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Jim Hardesty

When I replace mine I will use the wire only.  Using the self swageless type.   see page 72 of Defender catalog or
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|118|297400|312096&id=1034544

Jim

[corrected url to link properly - Stu]
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

waterdog

There is another option.  You can go synthetic with something like Amsteel.   I was inspecting my lifelines this weekend and was very glad I went that route in spite of some early concerns about elongation and chafe.  They have turned out to be very strong and stable.  I wouldn't put steel lifelines on a boat if I had to replace lifelines.
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Ron Hill

Last year I replaced my original life lines with uncoated 1/19 stainless.  They are GREAT !!

Yes, most of the larger Catalina's have uncoated 1/19 wire life lines.

I understand that all offshore boats must have uncoated wire life lines and that insurance companies will NOT insure off shore boats with vinyl life lines.  

And lets not forget -- NO MORE LIFELINE CLEANING!!!    A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Les Luzar

In addition to being able to spot the corrosion, the other great thing about uncoated lifelines is that you don't have to clean the white plastic coating. One less job to do.
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Bobg

Ron you mentioned you used 1/19 wire rope, wondering what size you used on your boat 1/4"?
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands