Leather Wheel Covers

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Soko

I'm planning to get a new padded leather wheel cover. The two venders that I've narrowed it down to are Edson Marine, and Boatleather.com. They are both in the same price range. Does anyone have any comparative info about the products of these two companies?
Tom Soko
"Juniper" C400 #307
Noank, CT

Ron Hill

Tom : Boatleather has a "padded" insert that I really liked.  It gives the wheel a larger diameter, making it easier to hold on to.   A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Clay Greene

We have the Edson and a similar experience to Ron.  It is a little padded and makes it easier to hold.  The leather wrap is very nice on cold mornings.
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Stu Jackson

We have the old non-padded.  Just great.  If you do the stitching, beware it'll take you a week at home watching TV, 'cuz it's hard, hard, hard on your fingers unless you're a musician who uses your fingers a LOT!   :D :D :D 

We did ours in 1998, and I think I'm still recovering...  :?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jim Hardesty

Tom,
I don't have input on the leather covers, they may be the same, Edson may relable the other brand.   Just a suggestion that I made on a previous post.
Here is a company that has helped me with Edson parts before (a few of years ago).  The prices were much less than from Edson.  D & R Marine, inc.  508 644 3001   The website doesn't show much, but here it is.

http://www.drmarine.com

May be worth a call
Jim
PS.  I whipped mine with a few $ of cord and a few hours labor.  I'll try a picture to post later.
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

tommyt

I have the Boatleather option and love it. Use your sailing gloves when stitching and it makes it easier on the hands.
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

Kevin Henderson

We found a local guy here that specializes in leather work.  He did an excellent job and it has the look and feel of a "Baseball Stitch" to it.  I really like having the leather since its less slippery I can occasionally stretch out in my perch seat and steer by my toes. 8) :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Ron Hill

Guys : i took my wheel home and with a wooden dowel set it between 2 kitchen chairs.

As mentioned I used sailing gloves and did a few stitches a day - just don't be in a hurry and give your hand a break!!

I'd really like a 36" wheel, but after covering my 34" wheel with padded wheel leather there is NO way I'd trade it off!!
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

Guys,
Pulling stitching or seizing doesn't have to be painfull.  Use a marlingspike (or something close) and a marlingspike hitch put the spike in your palm and the thread between your middle and ring finger and you can pull tight all day long.   I didn't look but there must be a description on the web.  I learned that on my other boat, the tall ship Niagara, where I volunteer.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

Chris

About 10  years ago, we compared leather wheel covers made for boats with those made by Wheelskins (http://www.wheelskins.com/) for cars, and the price was much more reasonable.  The company was very cooperative (although somewhat bemused by the diameter of the wheel), and made them to our specs.  There was no trouble lacing them on as they were pre-punched and came with lacing material.  Sure was an improvement over holding onto the steel wheel with bare hands in 40 degrees and sleet as we had to do previously!  The cover was still holding up fine when we sold our 34' ChriSea 1 1/2 years ago. 
ChriSea #832, 1989
Tall rig, fin keel
Sailing on Lake Michigan

Brent Evans

Or, you could just wrap your wheel with a bit of line.  It's provides a good grip and excellent insulation. . . and is a lot cheaper.

scotty

I've used both line and leather.  The leather has a great feel.  I have leather (un-padded) on my boat now and I'm really happy with it.
Scotty

Jim Hardesty

This is my 1st attempt at adding photos.  Here are pictures of my wheel taken at home on carpet.  I whipped it 4 years ago still looks good and get compliments.  I just wouldn't recommend the whipping to the white knuckle sailors, might get blisters. 
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

Jim Hardesty

Finally got to send pictures  :clap   
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

wind dancer

Quote from: Brent Evans on March 28, 2012, 07:43:15 PM
Or, you could just wrap your wheel with a bit of line.  It's provides a good grip and excellent insulation. . . and is a lot cheaper.

That looks nice, Brent, thanks for the picture.  I now have another spring project to do.
Jay Guard, 1996 Catalina 380, #3, "Aquila", Seattle