Leather Wheel Covers

Previous topic - Next topic

lazybone

Jim, I think the ropework looks even better after its been painted white a few times.

Very nautical  :thumb:
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

scotty

Scotty

Jim Hardesty

The rope work hasn't been painted.  It's just white nylon from Walmart or Lowes.  If it gets dirty I just give it a quick scrub with deck cleaner when washing the boat.  If it got looking too bad I would just redo it.  Once I get into it, it goes fast, and it's relaxing for me.  Or I might buy a folding wheel.
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Brent Evans

But look at the amazing results of Jim H.!  Beautiful work!

Brent Evans

BTW, I also wrapped my compression post inside the main salon with same line.  I think it looks very nautical, is nice to grab instead of that cold aluminum post and a bit softer on the noggin when you happen to bump into it.  Good luck.

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Brent Evans on March 31, 2012, 10:57:19 AM... and a bit softer on the noggin when you happen to bump into it.

Wow, I get "boat bites" (cuts on my hands and legs) whenever I'm on the boat, but how the heck do you do that!?!  :D

We've got a keel stepped mast.  That'd be brutal!  :shock:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Brent Evans

ha ha, well, mainly when I'm changing out the dining table.  I have a small teak cocktail table and the original large table (which I stow upright to the right of the doorway as you enter the stern berth) which I swap from time to time (depending on who's staying for dinner).  Four quick-release stainless machine screws with knobs are all it takes.  Still, sway or turn a little while putting these screws into the bottom of one of these tables and, "boing!", your head richochets off the compression post!

PS: I'm hull 38 and you're hull 224; I guess Catalina was offering both deck- and keel-stepped masts from the very beginning . . . .
PPS: I've got the oldest boat still in the fleet!  At least among IC-34 members; should I be scared?

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Brent Evans on March 31, 2012, 12:20:52 PM

1.  PS: I'm hull 38 and you're hull 224; I guess Catalina was offering both deck- and keel-stepped masts from the very beginning . . . .
2.  PPS: I've got the oldest boat still in the fleet!  At least among IC-34 members; should I be scared?

1.   http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Evolution_of_the_Catalina_34

2.  Not quite.  #8 sails here in Fleet 1, and #5 and #22 are still IA members.  #2 was until recently, I believe he's in Alaska.   But very glad to have you with us.  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Ron Hill

Guys : The only down side of a leather wheel cover that I have found is this : When you put the sunbrella cover over the wheel and binnacle the leather cover will not let the wheel turn with the cover ON. 

Small price to pay for the added comfort!!  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Ron Hill on March 31, 2012, 05:46:22 PMWhen you put the sunbrella cover over the wheel and binnacle the leather cover will not let the wheel turn with the cover ON. 

And all this time I considered that an advantage, like having a backup wheel brake!   :D

Also means you need to kinda oversize your cover, 'cuz it does catch on the leather.  Cory built our cover first, before we added the teak cup holder and leather on the wheel.