Xantrex LinkPro

Previous topic - Next topic

noworries

Anybody put one of these on their boat?  A buddy of mine just had one installed and I liked it so much I bought one... but just curious if anybody else has done it and if there were any lessons learned.
1991 Catalina 34 Mark 1.5 w/ M35

Stu Jackson

Absolutely.

From the "101 Series", "Electrical 101", the "Gotcha Algorithm" is for EVERYONE with a battery monitor, and it includes a discussion of the LinkLite & Pro series of monitors.

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4922.0.html

The Electrical 101 also now has How to Wire a Battery Monitor by Maine Sail, which is in Reply #9 in that topic.

http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=125606
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

I haven't done an indepth comparison, but a quick scan looks like the big difference between the linklite and linkpro is the amount of amps they can handle.  Lite 1000, Pro 10,000.  With our charging systems you will never see anything close to 1000 amps.  I'd suggest saving a few boat bucks and going with the LinkLite.

I love mine!
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Terry Forshier

I have the link pro. I only hooked it up to the main battery bank because I just did not have the patience to run wires around to hook up the starter battery. I have the main battery bank under the aft seat at the dinette and the starter battery in the lazerette. All charge on the Xantrex and the hi power alternater when set that way. The helm electronics run off the starter battery and display the volts on the tac tic system. The battery bank for the refrig and electronics below are all on the 2 batteries under the seat and display non the link pro. . I really need to hook up the other battery so I can see exactly where I am at all times. Still I always know where my battery bank is and how full it is.

mainesail

I have a Link Pro and a bunch of older Link 10's & XBM's kicking around. I like the screen on the Pro and the menu system a touch better but it's not worth the added expense if you're not using the battery temp sensing optiona nd do not have the computer interface.

That said 95% of what I install these days are the Victron BMV-600 & 602 monitors.. FAR EASIER to install, everything you need is already in the box, and a LOT less money... With Xantrex they don't even come with the wire you need to connect it.... :cry4`

If you can return the Link-Pro and buy a Victron BMV-600 you have a lot mroe boat bucks to spend on other things. I do like my Link Pro but I would NOT have paid the price over the BMV-600 or 602 had I not gotten a really "good deal" on mine.... A wealthy customer of mine accidentally ordered two and rather than ship it back just gave it to me... :thumb:
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

noworries

I paid $250 shipped for mine.  The difference between the Lite and the Pro were small, but so was the price ($20-$30), so I went with the pro.  A guy in our club has the computer interface kit, I can have him hook up to it if needed.

I would have jumped on that Victron had I known about it.  In all my google searching the Victron units I saw were older and not as full featured as the Xantrex.  I don't know how that one compares but I like that the design is similar (the Victron units I saw were square) 

I'm skipping their overpriced cable kit and rolling my own with some STP CAT6 I just picked up.  Should do the job fine, it's a short run.  I'll check out the links above so next time I go down I'm ready to tackle the job.

Ron Hill

no : Back in the early 1990s when I installed my Link 10, I also used my own wire!!  No problem - Still works great. 
Ron, Apache #788

Clay Greene

FYI, from reading this and the other posts, Maine Sail sold me on the Victron BMV-602 but there is not all that much of a price difference between it and the Xantrex LinkLite.  I found the BMV-602 for $186 and Jamestown Distributors was willing to match that price and I also got free shipping.  The lowest price I found on the LinkLite was $200 from Marine Parts Source (with free shipping). 

The "total" cost difference would come in the wiring, fuses, and connections you would need to buy for the Xantrex, all of which is included with the BMV-602.  The Xantrex connection kit is well over $100, which is both unreasonable and very annoying.  A similar feature set, what looks to be far easier installation, and better documentation sealed the deal for me in favor of the Victron. 

You could make a persuasive argument that the BMV-602 is more closely similar to the LinkPro, which is about $50 more, but I wasn't interested in the additional features that the LinkPro offers. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

noworries

Yeah my next boat will get a BMV-602 if it doesn't have a battery monitor already!

My install went great.  I was initially going to put it over by the nav station, but instead put it right above the under sink trashcan, so if you're sitting at the nav station it's right there across the walkway.

Clay Greene

That's a good location for ease of installation.  I am planning on putting the display above the chart table looking aft but am not looking forward to the wire run under the cabin sole.  I did that a couple of months ago with the 2 AWG wire from the starting battery and that is a tight fit through the conduit. 

Stu Jackson

You really don't have to use the conduit for that short of a run, also makes it easier to get across, or buy a new conduit and put the wires in it.  I ran our 2/0 cables for our Freedom 15 across, the I/C is on the outboard wall under the nav station.  Those wires are so big they didn't need a conduit and I used cable clamps and wire ties for support.

Clay Greene

That's a good point, Stu, thanks.  I may buy a new conduit because I am going to have a 2 AWG wire coming back to the house battery from the alternator.  On that topic, do you have a rough guess of the wire run from the alternator back to the house battery bank? 

Stu Jackson

Quote from: claygr on April 16, 2012, 06:32:53 PMOn that topic, do you have a rough guess of the wire run from the alternator back to the house battery bank?  

It's almost a straight run for starters, which a tape measure will provide, but only YOU can determine how many twists and turns are required for your particular installation.

Mine goes:  house bank through a new-drilled hole beside the hw heater, underneath the galley sole, behind the engine, across to the other side of the engine, then forward to the alternator with a lift for a drip loop.  My PDP is on the starboard side of the battery box, hence, even more length.  There's plenty of room for slack, even if it means a foot or so more of wire.

My length may be different than yours, better too long...so measure your own.  I bought more wire for other things, so don't have a record of the specific length, and I have a large wire clipper that can cut #2 wire easily.

This is quite different than the "USE 17 FEET FOR THE EXHAUST HOSE" discussion.  :D

Why do you think you need a conduit for one #2 wire?

Clay Greene

You mean you're not going to give me the answer?  I need to do my own measurements?  Jeez, Stu, I thought you knew all of this information off the top of your head and could extrapolate it to my boat. 

As to the conduit, I have a second wire crossing under the cabin sole for the battery monitor.  I think you're probably right that wire ties and screwed in clips will work fine and be easier to install.