lifelines: vinyl-covered?

Previous topic - Next topic

Fulvio

I am going to replace all my lifelines, taking the solar panel installation into account.

The standard seems to be the white vinyl-covered 3/16" SS cable.  But here in Seattle I found a store (Seattle Marine and Fishing Supply Co) that is more geared toward the commercial fishing fleet than the recreational boaters, where they have a 3/16" SS cable with a transparent plastic coating.  The difference:  $.49 vs $1.29 for the white vinyl at West Marine.

What is the reason for using the white vinyl coating?  Incidentally, Nigel Calder says that plastic should be left off altogether, because it traps moisture and promotes corrosion, but it's hard on the hands.  Also, as of 1999, plastic-coated lifelines are banned by the ORC.

Fulvio Casali
Seattle WA
Soliton
#929 (1989)

Roc

At the Annapolis boat show this year I saw racer/cruiser boats with no vinyl covers.  Just bare wire.  It looked kind of weird, but it probably would stop the corrosion at the swages.  So, if you can get clear covers for alot less, it would be an aesthetic decision.  

Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

alastairjames

We just had our safety inspection for our yacht club racing, and the inspector commented that the club was advising (but not yet insisting on) bare lifelines (we only do Cat 7 races).  

His explanation was that the combination of trapped moisture and exclusion of oxygen promoted corrosion in stainless, and of course with the vinyl sheath you can't see what's happening before the lifeline breaks.  

But there must be an expert out there who can give us the full story.

Dave Davis

I agree, the white cover is mostly for looks.  But, I feel that it also helps to prevent excess wear on the sheets when your running with a whisker pole. Same thought when running with your spinnaker. Take a good look at your vinyl cover and you will probably see the wear marks. I would rather wear out the vinyl cover then wear out my sheets and guys. My next change to the life lines will incorperate an additional gate with new pelican hooks so I can open them to prevent wear completely which is also very hard on the stanchions.

jentine

Those little "hooks" that develop on wire rope as it wears are a fine reminder that the vinyl covers are a good idea.  The vinyl does not go to the swage.  It stops short and the swages are horizontal preventing water build up that would hasten corrosion.
Jim Kane

Jim Rose

I have a problem with mine getting sticky.  I clean them with 3M vinyl cleaner & protector and in a week or two they're sticky again.  
Any suggestions?

amoreau

Hi....I use Dolphnite cleaner & wax on all my rubber lifelines and those little rubber end caps on the stern rail ladder locks.  I also use it on all my stainless steel.  I've had very good luck with it.  It has held up all season.
Al & Candy Moreau  (Dun Wish'n) 1488 Borden light Marina

cholder

Use a razor blade and cut off the vinyl.  The bare wire is just fine and you get no more crevice corrosion.

Crevice corrosion occurs where air can't get to the surface of the stainless steel.  Much like aluminum it forms a protective oxide.  In crevices you can get anaerobic conditions that allow corrosion.