Re: Stern Pulpit with Perch Seats w/ many Flix

Previous topic - Next topic

gsampson414

has anyone with an older design tried these (from Catalina Direct)? Will they attach in the same places as my 1990?

http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=2302

Thanks

Stu Jackson

Why not just buy the seats only, instead of that expensive ss?

I made this one from a 24 x 18 inch 1/2 inch thick starboard scrap from a local plastic shop, $27.44.  The leg and cup insert were from an old seat that a friend had built for me many years ago.

Here are more pictures:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4804.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Kevin Henderson

Agreed... These are the same type seats I have on Pau Hana. 
The beauty of the removable seat is allowing me to remove them when I don't want them in the way.  They stow away easily in the V berth and I can keep them away from the elements.  Plus, with the swim ladder down to accommodate Dinghy boarding and unboarding and stepping around the area behind the wheel it feels less crowded.  :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Stu Jackson

Here's the bottom:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Les Luzar

Here are a few of my thoughts on this stern rail. First of all, there are six stantions that attach to the toe-rail on this stern rail. I have an 87 and my boat only has 4 stantions that attach to the toe-rail. So even if the other four fit perfectly, which I highly doubt, you will have to drill new holes. I would suspect that if you purchased this alternative stern rail, with seats, you would have to patch the current mounting holes, then arrange the new stern rail, and re-drill. I have purchased many things from Catalina Direct and many products were not the origianl equipment or actually sometime did not work at all. So let the buyer beware. Furthermore, this stern rail does not include the seats, which are extra cost. Without the seats and with CA tax you are looking at $1,500 before installation. Also this rail is made of 304 stainless. I am not sure, but are the factory rails made of 316 or 304? What are the costs of the seats? I know one 1986 C34 boat in my marina that has this stern rail. It looks like a nice set-up. Before I would make this investment, I would look around and see if you can find another 34 or 36 with this product and see if you really like it or not. I would also ask a few other questions...Have you owned your C-34 for a while and have you sailed it enough to really need this upgrade. In my case I love the raised helm seat on my C-34. I often sit athwart ship and steer with my legs raised at the elevated seat. To me this is comfortable. This certainly is a nice feature, but the question is, will it be used as you intend. Sometimes these things look great but in practice may not be used $1,500 to $2,000 worth of investment. Of course, it's your boat, and your money. If you have alot of children / guests and you need the space, it could be worth it. I just throw out my thoughts and the final decision of course is your call.
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Ralph Masters

Another source for the seats is Zarcor.com.  They attach right on the rail you have and you're sitting pretty, or in my case the admiral is and I'm just sitting.

Ralph

Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Garth

The zarcor ones are awesome. We have them on our 89. Fit perfectly and easily removeable if needed. I think they were about $250 for a pair. Check zarcor.com.

Cheers,

Garth

hump180

I like that new rail with integral seats. Would look good on my 1990 mark 1 1/4......but losing races has the budget going to a whisker pole this year. Very cool rail though.
Bill, Grace Under Pressure, 1990, M-25XP #1026
Western Lake Erie

efhughes3

Quote from: SD Diver on February 28, 2012, 02:46:05 PM
Another source for the seats is Zarcor.com.  They attach right on the rail you have and you're sitting pretty, or in my case the admiral is and I'm just sitting.

Ralph

Ciao Bella

That is how my wife-former girlfriend-"learned to sail", sitting on the stern seats of my Hunter 376, glass of wine in hand. :clap
Ed Hughes
La Vie Dansante-1988 C34 Hull 578
SDYC

Kevin Henderson

Hence the term I have often heard to describe them as.... "Princess Seats" :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Ken Juul

Zarcor has raised the price again.  $279.  Another $150 if you want the padding.  That seems like alot of cash for less than $50 in materials and a couple hours of your time.  Ours are the favorite seats on the boat.  We opted not to do the padding and use a throwable seat cushion instead.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

Here are the measurements.

gsampson414

Great info guys, will save some $$ and go with either the zarcor or the custom "stu" job!

thanks again,

Greg

Ken Juul

If you move the back hinge to the side rail the seat will swing up to allow access to the lazerette below it.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

TonyP

Quote from: gsampson414 on February 28, 2012, 12:24:27 PM
has anyone with an older design tried these (from Catalina Direct)? Will they attach in the same places as my 1990?

http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=2302

Thanks

Look at this link and it explains
http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=feature.display&feature_ID=135

cheers
Tony
Tony Plunkett
C34 Moonshadow
1992  Hull#1174
Pittwater / Newport
NSW Australia