Re: Stern Pulpit with Perch Seats w/ many Flix

Previous topic - Next topic

scotty

If that deal falls through, let me know, I'll buy them.  Thanks,  Scotty
Scotty

Indian Falls

I was just looking into this..  a piece of LDPE 3/4'' thick is only a few dollars less than the same piece of Star-Board from ( I forget which one) one of the leading Marine supply websites.  The problem I encounter is finding the Rail Clamps that Zarcor uses for their seats and drink holders.  The Mfg'r is Helm, the part # is HR 200.  They are nowhere to be found except from Zarcor, for 10 bucks each.  cheap enough, but this is still costing around 175$ to make your own.  If you guys have a better suggestion for clamps, hardware and cheaper star-board, please put your 2 cents here.

Thanks!
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Indian Falls on March 11, 2012, 07:07:56 PMIf you guys have a better suggestion for clamps, hardware and cheaper star-board, please put your 2 cents here.

If you design the seats so that they extend outboard a bit more, you can use simple U fittings from a hardware store instead of the Zarcor clamps, but all you'd be saving is a few bucks.  The $$ is in the seat material.  Like I said, I paid $27 for mine.  Not that expensive, keep looking around for material.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Brent Evans

Here's a simple way to make stern pulpit seats without the obtrusive bottom support.  The starboard seats are secured  to the stainless tubing using plastic straps from the plumbing store.

Bob K

Great idea Brent.  Where did you get the rail fittings?
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Brent Evans

Greetings, Bob,
They're standard fittings for biminis and dodgers but I found a really inexpensive place to buy them.  Check out www.perfectfit.com.  They have small wholesale/retail stores in Tukwila, WA and Portland, OR.

Check to see if your stern pulpit is 7/8" or 1" in diameter.

Once you know that, here is what you'll need to make 2 seats (this is off the Perfect Fit invoice from 2009):
4 x stainless split jaw slide  $9 each
4 x heavy duty outside eye ends $4.50 each

I bought a retangular piece of starboard from Westmarine and cut 2 seats out of it; shaped the edges on a router table.  Plastic plumbing straps and a few stainless screws and I was done.

Hope this helps.

Bob K

That's great.  I may do the same.  Thanks Brent,
Bob
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Brent Evans

I forgot to mention: 1)  you'll need a short length of stainless tubing to bridge each corner of your stern pulpit and form the third leg of your triangle), 2) this horizontal triangle with no supporting leg underneath is very strong; I've had no troubles at all.  My seats are smaller than most people's that I see in this post, but I like having just enough seat to perch on while sailing the boat and no more.  They never get in the way.  I also have small Bottomsider cushions that just fit each seat.  Good luck!

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."