Using a Car Tire Jack on a C34 - Fuel Tank Access

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

When my son & I replaced the exhaust hose on our boat last Sunday, I had taken off the aft cabin port panel.  In reaching for the hose when he was passing it down through the hole into the head sink area, I leaned against the panel, which was laying partially flat.  (See picture, the right side upper edge was way further down after I leaned on it).  It flattened out and down all the way.

Turns out the top ends of the panel got stuck between the aft cabin panel and fiberglass at the forward end, and no amount of prying or pushing or pulling was gonna get it out.  While two folks can sleep back there, there's simply not enough room to "work."  We just couldn't get enough leverage to pry it up.  It was stuck.

I returned to the boat on Monday, with the goal of getting the panel "unstuck."

I tried doing it manually, and still could get no leverage.  I pushed a large plastic tool box under the forward section and got it to raise up a bit, but not enough to loosen the grip.

So, I did what I do best:  sat and thought about it.

Then I went out to the car and got out the tire jack.  We bought a new car last year and it was clean and untouched.

I slid the jack under the forward port corner and opened up the jack with an adjustable short handled wrench.

That "POP" sound never sounded so sweet.

I propped the panel back up, and will reinstall the screws after I've finished redoing the fuel lines.

Heck, maybe I'll even fix my fuel sender, but I doubt it!

Some say there are very good parallels between RVs and boats.  

I'm a believer.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Kent & Jane Overbeck

Stu,  I couldn't help but notice the difference in our boats.  Carina is a 2001 MKII.  You have so much more access than I.  I also would like to replace my sending unit.  I thought I had fixed it but it reads empty with 15 gallons and full with 20.  My problem is I can't get to it.  The access port is not over the sending unit.  I'll probably cut another hole in the lazerett floor.

Kent

Jim Hardesty

Kent,
Our hull # are close.  I also had a problem with the sending unit.  When I tried to change it found that the access port in the cockpit locker wasn't in quite the right location.  By removing the the entire port assembly, thats the threaded ring with 3 screws ?, I had enough space to change out the sensor.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Kent & Jane Overbeck

Thanks,  I'll try that b4 I cut a bigger hole.

Kent

Ken Heyman

Guys,

I have an "88" and  access comoarable to Stu's. I have have installed, uninstalled and dropped sender components into the tank. Access is always a problem. I also cleaned my tank using the "Ron Hill method" and it's not all that tough removing the tank. Have you considered tank removal-sender installation and then giving the tank an acetone bath at the same time ?

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Kent & Jane Overbeck

Ken, I guess you missed my point.  Look at Stu's pic of the fuel tank in his '88, then look at my pic of my 2001 MKII.. No comparable access.
On top of that, the sending unit
access port is not where it should be.  :D

Did you see my previous post on Fuel tank access?

Kent

Ron Hill

Guys : I've used a belt tensioning tool to align the engine
-- a Turkey baster on the transmission

-- so what ever it takes to get the job done!! 
Ron, Apache #788

Ralph Masters

Getting my old fuel tank out and the new one in on our 87 MkI was a snap.  Lots of space, see Stu's photo.  I guess they just don't build them like they used to.
Stu, great use of alternate tools.  Improvise, Adapt, Over Come.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

crieders

I have a 1990 boat, 1022 with the same fuel sending issue as Kent's and I haven't had the nerve to take off the access panal to see what kind of access I have. Would love to try that and see what it looks like. Can the send be changed from where that panal comes off?
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Ken Juul

From what I remember yes.  The sender is at the same end as the fuel pickup tube.  You may need to undo the mounting bolts and slide the tank around a bit to get the sender to line up with the access port.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Dave Spencer

Cliff,
The sender is at the forward end of the tank right by the shutoff valve.  I've attached a picture that I took last spring of my setup on Hull #1279.  You will see that the access port is directly above the shutoff valve and, as Ken suggested, you may need to shuffle the tank around a bit to get the sender (with the wires running to it) to come out of the access port.
One job this spring for me is to remove and clean the fuel tank "a la Ron Hill wiki"

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Jim Hardesty

On my 2001 a second identical port is above the fuel gage sending unit.  As noted, not in the right place but close.  Would be an easy thing to add, or may be just cut a hole and close off with a simple cover of alumium or plywood.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA