New exhaust hose installed on my '88 today.... exhaust hose FLIX

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Hill

Ralph : A couple of us used 17 feet.  Actually, I cut about 4 inches off (that was too much extra), to make a good fit.

I don't believe there is room to stuff or loop 20 ft of that hose!! 
Ron, Apache #788

Ralph Masters

Ron,
That's what I was thinking.  Having read the threads I was figuring about 17.  I'll have to see where he stuck the extra, I'm thinking behind the sink, because in the lazaret there was no extra and in the aft going to the through hull it was run pretty straight along the overhead then down at the aft bulk head/transom.  Hope there isn't a down ward loop behind the sink that would trap water.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Stu Jackson

A tad short of 17 feet.  Just like Ed and others have reported.  Somehow I don't think the dimensions of our boats (Mark Is, 1 1/4s and 1 1/2s) have much changed over the years.  I found, based on my OEM install, that there was a little "wiggle room."  For instance, you'll notice that the hose in the port locker is higher than the mark left by the old hose, plus there's room in the lazarette to push the hose higher than OEM if you have six inches too much hose, rather than cutting it.

My approach is better too much, than too short, of course, but think of it this way:  in the future if the ends of the hose corrode (since there's some bare metal), then you can shorten it and cut an inch or two off and reconnect to the thru hull or the muffler.  It's usually the ends that go first.

Somehow, I'm sure Frank and Gerry didn't have the guys on the factory floor use as MUCH hose as they could... :shock:

This hose length worked just fine for me, and it comes, repeatedly, from the great guys who contribute.  I depend on them and they always come through.   It's been 17 feet since 1986.  Really.  :abd:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

Quote from: SD Diver on February 27, 2012, 02:15:20 PM
Ron,
That's what I was thinking.  Having read the threads I was figuring about 17.  I'll have to see where he stuck the extra, I'm thinking behind the sink, because in the lazaret there was no extra and in the aft going to the through hull it was run pretty straight along the overhead then down at the aft bulk head/transom.  Hope there isn't a down ward loop behind the sink that would trap water.

Ralph

I'm guessing he charged you for 20 feet and cut some off.  There simply isn't room for a down loop behind the head, but heck, go look!  If there is, I want a picture, 'cuz I don't think it's possible.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

efhughes3

That's my thought too. I'd ask them for the extra 3'!  :thumb:

Quote from: Stu Jackson on February 27, 2012, 05:31:45 PM
Quote from: SD Diver on February 27, 2012, 02:15:20 PM
Ron,

Ralph

I'm guessing he charged you for 20 feet and cut some off.  There simply isn't room for a down loop behind the head, but heck, go look!  If there is, I want a picture, 'cuz I don't think it's possible.
Ed Hughes
La Vie Dansante-1988 C34 Hull 578
SDYC

Ron Hill

Ed's got a good point about asking the for the other 3 feet of hose.

Because if you haven't noticed, the factory used that same hose for the scupper drains and 3 ft would be about what you need to do one of the two scuppers in a MK 1 standard transom.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson