Rigging tension

Previous topic - Next topic

lazybones

I have the opportunity to borrow a Loos tension gauge.  Does anyone know what values it should show and the proper sequence for adjusting?

Jim Price

I have a chart I received from Ken Morton (Trident 1996 MK II)that I used to set my shrouds and backstay (forestay is furler and I did not want to deal with all of that removal to set).  Lady Di is a 1991 but numbers seem to work fine.  It is in Excel format and I can email to you if you can give me an address.  One point to note, some of the older Loos guages do not have capacity for both the 1/4" & 5/16" scales.  I bought my guage earlier this year after Loos upgraded and have both scales on one guageu.  Works very nicely.  You can use the chart to get good idea of settings.  My only recommendation, set shouds in pairs; both uppers or both afts, etc. On backstay bridle, check and recheck each side until balanced.  I tweeked all of mine at least three or four times because any significant adjustment on a shroud will effect another shroud and same with back and forestays.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

lazybones

Thanks Jim, sounds like it's exactly what I was looking for.

anaisdog

where did you buy the loos gauge?  thanks
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

fatamorgana

I would be interested in those numbers as well. 

Any chance you can publish them here?

Thanks
1988 C34 wing keel, standard rig

rmbrown

Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Jim is correct the key is the size 5/16" 1X19 wire of the upper, for and back stays!!! 

There are a number of gages that only go up thru 1/4" wire!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ed Shankle

Ken Morton's table is great because the conversions based on wire size is already done. Just select the stay by name and set to the recommended tensioning.
Regards,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

anaisdog

thanks!  we'll use this!
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club