Thinking about moving C34 to the area next summer, sailing in the summers, from

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Mobley

Hi,

I have an 1988 C34 in the SF bay.   I will probably retire next summer and would love to move the boat north (Puget sound) and sail a month or two every summer.    I spent a couple weeks several years ago on a smaller sailboat boat sailing the San Juans and south and it was really enjoyable.

On the web site of every marina I have looked at they say there are big waiting list for slips.   I need some local wisdom on the subject.   I remember when I was told in SF that the Marina where I wanted to stay had a 10 person waiting list.   It was obvious that there were lots of slips though.  The real story was that they were screening people.   That wanted people with well maintained boats that would actually pay.  Any wisdom or suggestions?

Another issue is if I should move the boat or sell it in SF and buy another equal boat up north.   I would like to keep the current one because I have become familiar with its characteristics and challenges.   The is also the cost of shipping it north, $5,000?   

Another  option is to sell it and just rent one for a month or two every summer.   

Bob mobley

wind dancer

The waiting lists aren't as long as they used to be, I think you could get a slip at a good marina in short order.  Worst case, you could sublet a slip while looking for permanent moorage.

In the Seattle area, Shilshole and Elliott Bay Marinas are good choices and are centrally located.  There are dozens of others throughout Puget Sound as well. I like your idea -- sailing up here for two months every summer is in my retirement plan.
Jay Guard, 1996 Catalina 380, #3, "Aquila", Seattle

wzingarelli

Hey Bob! Come on up north and join the summer fun. Check out Everett for immediate slippage and there are sublets listed regularly in Skyline in Anacortes. Cap Sante (where we keep our boat) is redoing a couple of piers and are scheduled to take applications next spring/summer upon completion. If you are like most folks and yearn for time in the San Juans and beyond then check out Deer Harbor and Westsound Marina on Orcas Island, both have slips available.

And if you are truly adventurous and self-contained you can find plenty of places to place a mooring buoy throughout the region. Sounds like you'll be out and about most of the time anyway!

Best of luck!

WZ

Tom Clay

Bob,

We plan on retiring next year and cruising Puget Sound and up to Northern Vancouver Island. Our boat is currently moored in Olympia (Swantown Marina). Rates are resonable ($280 for a 36' slip)and there are openings. You can walk into Olympia from the marina, it is very well maintained with security. We enjoy the South Puget Sound because it is quieter with less marine traffic and multiple marine state parks are available.

Everett Marina is also a good location and convienent for a trip to the San Juans or Gulf Islands.  We have stayed at almost every marina between Olympia and Nanimo Canada, let me know if there is a specific marina you are looking at.

Since you currently have a Catalina 34', that you enjoy I would move it as the 34' is a popular boat in Puget Sound and usually brings a premium price for a clean boat.
Tom and Lynn Clay
2006 34' Hull #1760......Somewhere
Olympia, Wa.

Bob Mobley

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments.  At this point I am looking for a spot close to Seattle so my son in Seattle can check the boat occasionally in winter.   Yes, it would be nice to be further north but when we go sailing it will usually be for an extended period.

Any suggests on a boat yard to truck the boat to and have it put back together.   Obvious I will need a rigger.  Suggestions on riggers, it was replaced 2 years ago so it is in good shape?

The mast needs repairing so I will probably have it done while it is down. 

:thumb:
Bob Mobley