UK Sails - Annapolis

Previous topic - Next topic

Roc

Has anyone purchased a sail from UK Sails in Annapolis (Eastport)?  Thinking about an Asym from them and would like to know if anyone had any good or bad experiences.  We visited the loft last weekend and they seem very knowledgeable and have a nice set up.

Thanks!! 
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Dave Spencer

Nothing from Annapolis but I did drive over to Toronto today to order a new UK Halsey Mains'l.  :D Knowledgable and helpful people there.  I met with them at a couple of recent boat shows and they seemed to be the best combination of quality, knowledge and price IMHO.  I think all of the UK Halsey sails are made in Hong Kong.  Seems odd to have a business that needs lots of square footage in some of the most expensive real estate in the world but that's where they are.  The UK Halsey loft owner in Toronto said he has been there several times and it is a huge area on approx the 22nd floor of one of the hundreds of high rises in Hong Kong.
Next on the agenda (maybe next year?) will be an Asym.  I think the UK Halsey version has the unfortunate moniker of "the flasher".
Good luck... let us know what factors swayed you toward UK Halsey or whoever you go with.
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Roc

Dave,
They tell me they will build the sail in Annapolis, and not offshore.  I have spoken to other lofts, and they would tell me the CAD file would be sent offshore for assembly.

Dave Spencer

Sounds great Roc.  They must have a custom loft to support the huge sailing community in Annapolis.  Lots of good things are made offshore but I usually prefer to buy things primarily made in Canada or the United States when feasible. 
I'm interested in the details of the sail you are getting and the reasons for going with whatever you are going with. 
1.5 or 0.75 oz cloth?
Sock and tacker?
Cut for reaching or primarily downwind?
If a reacher, how high do you expect to be able to point with it?

I am keen to get an Asymmetrical Cruising Spinnaker as my next major sail purchase and I'm interested in other's opinions on different options for it.  I had an old Drifter / Reacher / Spinnaker on my previous boat, a 1978 CS27 that I really enjoyed when the wind dropped to a zephyr.  No sock but it was easily manageable since it was a much smaller boat.
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Roc

Dave,
I'm still thinking about what sailmaker to use.  But from all the info I've soaked up, I'm told that .75 cloth is the best for lighter air and is plenty strong enough.  The wind angles I've spoken to sailmakers about is the typical range for the Asym, which is around 60/70 down to around 140/150.  Plan is mostly beam to broad reaching, but in very light air, want the ability to point up a bit. Planning on getting an ATN sock since what I hear, they work well.