Cutless Bearing Replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve W10

Read everything I could find about this but couldn't find conclusive info about these two points...

1. When removing the Cutless Bearing (prop shaft is already removed) do you pull it out towards the bow or does it matter?

2. After installing (I have the two set-screws) do you bother indexing the bearing with an awl, punch, or small drill bit, or do you just tighten the set-screws?  It was recommended that I use a small drill bit.

In case anyone is curious of pricing, I just got a Johnson / Duramax Marine Cutless Bearing "BACK" 1x11/4x4 at the Toronto Boat Show for $40.

Thanks,

Steve

Ralph Masters

They normally pull out from the back and you don't need to index them before setting the set screw.  Be sure to lanacote everything.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

mainesail

Quote from: Steve Wormsbecher on January 24, 2012, 12:56:06 PM
Read everything I could find about this but couldn't find conclusive info about these two points...

1. When removing the Cutless Bearing (prop shaft is already removed) do you pull it out towards the bow or does it matter?

With the shaft removed it does not matter.

Quote from: Steve Wormsbecher on January 24, 2012, 12:56:06 PM2. After installing (I have the two set-screws) do you bother indexing the bearing with an awl, punch, or small drill bit, or do you just tighten the set-screws?  It was recommended that I use a small drill bit.

Yes you are supposed to "spot" the bearing shell.

From ABYC P-06

6.8.1.1.1The set screw material shall be harder, and galvanically more noble, than the bearing shell.

6.8.1.1.2 Spot drills having the same tip angle as the set screws shall be used to increase the grip of the set screws.

-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

Ron Hill

Steve : If the shaft is already removed - take the cutless out either way.

If your new cutless bearing happens to have a plastic outer case, I wouldn't spot drill. 
Ron, Apache #788

Steve W10

Awesome, thanks guys.

No plastic case, but spot drilling will only take a few seconds anyway.  I'll just be careful with the threads.