New exhaust hose installed on my '88 today.... exhaust hose FLIX

Previous topic - Next topic

scotty

Scotty

Ron Hill

Guys : Just make sure that the exhaust hose is NOT touching the protrusion of the toilet paper cabnet !!!!!!
Ron, Apache #788

efhughes3

Ed Hughes
La Vie Dansante-1988 C34 Hull 578
SDYC

Stu Jackson

DONE!  :clap

A little creepy feeding the hose through to the head side hole, man that sucker is so small.  If they'd made that hole the same size as the aft hole, it woulda been a LOT easier.  Since the hole isn't sealed, anything that spills in the port locker is goin' down anyway.

My son, bless him, spent most of the afternoon in the port locker, while I guided the hose through under the head and in the lazarette.  The hardest part was redoing the wire ties under the head counter to hold the hose up before it turned down into the muffler.  The new hose is much more supple than the old one, so makes bends much more easily.

The old hose didn't have any particular holes in it, just cracks all along its length.  I'm sure it was leaking big time for many years, based on the black soot all over everything.  Having Morgan on his back cleaned up the port locker pretty well!   8)

We have a bunch of lines in the lazarette, so I was able to avoid stepping on the cockpit scupper drains and the bilge pump hoses.

I'm glad I removed the aft cabin panel - I was able to guide the hose down and past the fuel tank, otherwise it would have been more difficult to figure out what was going on down there from up above, and you simply can't reach from the head door over to port to grab the hose from the head.

Thanks a lot for all the guidance.

Elapsed time, including removing and replacing all the stuff from the port locker:  started at 12:30, finished at a bit past 3:30. Doesn't include time I spent earlier removing the hose clamps at either end and taking off the aft cabin panel, say maybe and hour.

Good help is hard to find, all ya have to do is put them through college!  :thumb:

[added Nov. 2020]  ---  One thing I may have mentioned elsewhere (or not?!?):  Where I bought my hose, they didn't have a full piece of 17 feet, so the helpful counter-guy Mark - who knew me - at the Universal dealership in Oakland, California (relatively 2014? newly renamed Outboard Motor-shop from Seapower) actually spliced two pieces together to make 17 feet with a high temp butt connector!  I added two hose clamps on either side, but it was a tight fitting, no air leaks.  One piece was much longer than the other.  We fed each end in from up above, through the port locker.  The right side went into the hole down below just forward of the fuel tank, and the aft end went though the hole on the vertical bulkhead down to the thru hull below the transom.  The butt connector couldn't feed through either of the holes, and it just so fortuitously turned out that the "bulkier" connector stopped right at the bulkhead inside the aft end of the port locker and made it all the way to the thru hull!  I still maintain that it was great planning, not just luck!  Raised hands

Morgan did get the new hose into new wire ties inside the port locker, but I never got around to completely securing it underneath the head countertop; can't even begin to reach it.

Good news?  It should be a once-in-a-boatowner's life kinda effort.  And God bless the next owner!

exhaust hose flix
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

efhughes3

Ed Hughes
SDYC

Stu Jackson

His or mine?  Yes, I was down below, must have been mine.   :D

Pictures as promised:

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Stu Jackson

...and...  My old Bruce anchor and our sentinel (kellet).  The leaks from the old hose are evident on the inside of the hull.

Stu Jackson

The old hose poking down thru the forward hole to the head:

efhughes3

This reminds me: isn't the fuel shutoff valve location ridiculous?
Ed Hughes
SDYC

scotty

The picture of your son in the locker is priceless.  That's a good man!
Scotty

Ralph Masters

Great job Stu. 
In regards to the fuel shut off vale, that is a terrible place for it, I have one on the inlet side of my racor filter so when I change the element I just shut it off there.

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ted Pounds

re: the fuel shutoff
I had a small access hatch lying around (it's a long story...).  So I decided to cut a hole in the fore-and-aft bulkhead in the aft cabin and install the hatch to give easy access to the valve.  Any screw-in deckplate could serve the same purpose and would be a good safety feature.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ken Juul

Many have added an inline shut off line just before the electric fuel pump to stop flow when working on the fuel filters.  Others just use vicegrips to close the line off.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

I replumbed our electric fuel pump to after the primary Racor.  I do have a new shutoff vavle, to be installed, in front of the Racor.

Ralph Masters

Stu,
How many feet of hose did you put in for the replacement??  The yard charged me for 20 feet, not sure where the extra two or three feet went.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987