New exhaust hose installed on my '88 today.... exhaust hose FLIX

Previous topic - Next topic

efhughes3

Well, other than cleaning and little piddly stuff, I got into some of the meat on the new boat today-I put a new exhaust hose in. The old one was pretty cracked-wouldn't be surprised if it was original, but there was a dip at the rear in the lazarette that I don't think woulda come out of the factory. At any rate, I bought 19' from Catalina Direct (they've been awesome-I asked someone to call to confirm it would ship the day I ordered-they did!) just to be safe. The threads I'd read said it took 17'. I had about 30" left over, so the 17' is a safe bet in my opinion.

The old hose was very stiff and formed in the shape it was in, making removal a stubborn task. I got smart pretty quick and cut it in three pieces-made removal pretty simple-EXCEPT getting it off the through hull at the stern. I played tug-of-war on that for at least 30 minutes-ended up rotating the short 4' piece (after cutting) while pulling. Sprayed some Silicone spray down the hose for good measure-finally started to pull off.

I found out a 6'2"/200lb man can indeed get entirely into the Port cockpit locker to affix the new hose with zip ties and pull old hose out the hole going forward.  :clap
Ed Hughes
La Vie Dansante-1988 C34 Hull 578
SDYC

Ralph Masters

We're getting ready to do a haul out, and the yard gets to do our exhaust hose.  I took one look at that thing and said, nope, not going to do it.

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ron Hill

Guys : If you read the Nov 2010 Mainsheet tech notes, you'll see my article (w/pictures) on changing out the exhaust hose.

As I recommend this is an easy 1hour job for 2 people, not too sure I'd tackle it by myself.  The 1 hour didn't include the time it took to clean out the port side and aft lazerettes and port side aft cabin panel - so we could get at everything.

I'd still recommend that you look at Defender for the hose as Catalina Direct is too rich for me, especially on the east coast for shipping. 

FYI, I ordered 17 feet and we cut off about 6 inches to make the final connection to the thru hull in the stern.   

A few thoughts.
Ron, Apache #788

efhughes3

Well, the math on the length seems to work out with mine. I went to Cat Direct as I omitted to order the hose last week, and we're only 2 days shipment out of Sacto. Still about $3/ft cheaper than WM.

The math works out on the labor too-double it for one person, and take the easy out of the equation, but actually not so bad. Cutting the old hose up helped deal with the dirty part in short order. I'm doing some of this stuff just to get the opportunity to crawl around the boat and check stuff out.

Quote from: Ron Hill on January 15, 2012, 02:31:08 PM
Guys : If you read the Nov 2010 Mainsheet tech notes, you'll see my article (w/pictures) on changing out the exhaust hose.

As I recommend this is an easy 1hour job for 2 people, not too sure I'd tackle it by myself.  The 1 hour didn't include the time it took to clean out the port side and aft lazerettes and port side aft cabin panel - so we could get at everything.

I'd still recommend that you look at Defender for the hose as Catalina Direct is too rich for me, especially on the east coast for shipping. 

FYI, I ordered 17 feet and we cut off about 6 inches to make the final connection to the thru hull in the stern.   

A few thoughts.
Ed Hughes
SDYC

Kirk Garner

Exactly as I have discovered the last several years with my '88' there is just no better way to get intimately acquainted with all the myriad intricacies of this good 'ol boat than to crawl around in the bilges and every nook and cranny getting up close and personal. If something breaks 'out there' I want to have at least an inkling of what just happened and what am I going to do to make it work again, if only long enough to make it 'back home'. Can't do that if you always have the 'professional' do everything for you.

And thank God for this site and those who have gone before me willing to share their stuff......

Welcome aboard!

Kirk
Kirk Garner

Steve W10

Hey guys, great timing on this one.  Last year I replaced every hose on my boat, drains, domestic water, cooling, fuel, vents, water heater, EXCEPT the exhaust.  I've got the hump hose, but am hoping to get a deal at our Toronto Boat Show this week on the big one.

Thanks for reconfirming 17'.

The one in the boat right now, that I also suspect is original, is the Trident Flex Marine Exhaust and Water Hose 1 5/8".  I've seen at West their Series 250 Shieldsflex II Marine Water/Exhaust Hose with wire.  Is that the standard one everyone is putting in now?  Or any other suggestions?

Steve

Ralph Masters

Well, as for getting to know the boat, I've replaced the fuel tank, all fuel hose, potable water hose, potable water valves, rewired the battery charger to the batteries, washed and scrubbed all the bilge areas from the rudder stock to the bilge pump (after we fixed the fuel tank leak), ran a NEMA 2000 backbone system from the binnacle to the nav table, replaced the thru hull for the anchor locker drain.  So I'd say I know my boat very well inside.  I'll let some one else muck with the exhaust hose.

Ralph

Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

efhughes3

Water lines, replacement of, is on my short list.

Quote from: SD Diver on January 16, 2012, 10:18:17 AM
Well, as for getting to know the boat, I've replaced the fuel tank, all fuel hose, potable water hose, potable water valves, rewired the battery charger to the batteries, washed and scrubbed all the bilge areas from the rudder stock to the bilge pump (after we fixed the fuel tank leak), ran a NEMA 2000 backbone system from the binnacle to the nav table, replaced the thru hull for the anchor locker drain.  So I'd say I know my boat very well inside.  I'll let some one else muck with the exhaust hose.

Ralph

Ciao Bella
Ed Hughes
SDYC

efhughes3

Ron, I checked the CD listing all the topics again, and found no article on replacing "exhaust hose", using that term to search the spreadsheet. Then, I went to the Tech notes here, and find Nov 2010 to not have anything. I'm new to navigating around here, so I'm sure I'm missing something.

Quote from: Ron Hill on January 15, 2012, 02:31:08 PM

A few thoughts.
Ed Hughes
SDYC

Ron Hill

Ed : As I recall the CD Tech information was from 1986 thru March 2001.  

If you look at a paper copy of the Mainsheet, you'll find that article in the November 2010 issue in the Tech Notes.

All members of the C34IA receive the Mainsheet magazine 4 times a year Feb / May / Aug / Nov.  If you haven't joined you might want to contact Stu Jackson (see Home page).  

A thought  
Ron, Apache #788

efhughes3

Quote from: Ron Hill on January 17, 2012, 02:45:55 PM
Ed : As I recall the CD Tech information was from 1986 thru March 2001.  

If you look at a paper copy of the Mainsheet, you'll find that article in the November 2011 issue in the Tech Notes.

All members of the C34IA receive the Mainsheet magazine 4 times a year Feb / May / Aug / Nov.  If you haven't joined you might want to contact Stu Jackson (see Home page).   

A thought  

I've joined. You had said Nov 2010 tech notes above, and I thought that the Tech Notes index did just that: link back to past issues/articles.
Ed Hughes
SDYC

Stu Jackson

Ed, thanks for joining.  As you may have noticed, the August and November 2011 Mainsheet articles aren't posted yet.  This is a volunteer organization. :D :D

If you'd like a copy, email me through this board and I'll scan you a copy.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

efhughes3

Quote from: Stu Jackson on January 18, 2012, 07:08:54 AM
Ed, thanks for joining.  As you may have noticed, the August and November 2011 Mainsheet articles aren't posted yet.  This is a volunteer organization. :D :D

If you'd like a copy, email me through this board and I'll scan you a copy.

I appreciate that Stu. It's a moot point, the project is done. Thanks for all of the replies!
Ed Hughes
SDYC

horsemel

I replaced mine by myself last summer and I don't recommend it.  It isn't a hard or complicated job, but I am 6'1" and 200 lbs.  I was head first in the stern locker removing the hose from the thru hull.  I slipped further down in than I intended and because of my propane tank set-up it took me 45 minutes to extricate myself.  Nobody around to hear me yelling.  Just a word to the wise.
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

Phil Spicer

Mark, you should have called me. I would be happy to help you again.  When it comes to tight spaces, I can usually get most anyplace in the boat. Most of the time I will pull the propane locker to get into the Lazarette, but if time is tight, I squeeze past it on the port side. Call if you need a hand.

Phil
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.