new chain plate design is now on youtube

Previous topic - Next topic

togve

Since last season the good old 34 has been covered up waiting for spring. In the meantime I have put the New chain plate design on youtube. The new design worked as I expected and we had some fun sailing in _ 35 not winds this past season. Next spring I will install centre Cleats in the tow rails. and I'll post the process.

Here is the link for the New chain Plate design:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO5_Yjqktr8

dbpaul

I was wondering why that fantastic vdeo on C-34 chainplates was pulled.

Just like to say thanks to who ever made the video......top drawer job.

paulj

Les Luzar

It was a really good video, which brought to mind one question: If our chainplates are ok, what about a larger style deck plate to allow for additional deck surface for sealing?
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Ron Hill

Les : GREAT question.

The newly designed chainlpates are nice, but the real part of the fix is the use of butyl rubber.  That was introduced to us by Mainsheet and there is where the cheers should go to - not the new design.  The fact at butyl rubber sticks and remains resilient after years - is the real fix to the problem. 
Caulk and especially poly-sulfide is resilient, but messy and takes days to properly cure - is it's real draw back.  How many times have you gone to the tube of caulk that you opened last week and it's already started or is hardened.  Butyl rubber on the other hand is ready to go, easy to use and takes no time to cure.  Fix the chainplate in the morning and go sailing in the afternoon!!

So in my openion it the use of the butyl that takes the praise and not the new chainplate design. 

Les, I'd just remove what you've got and bed it in with the butyl rubber as it's the cutout in the deck and two side holes that need to be sealed - the larger top plate is a minor requirement. 
Just don't forget to champor the edges, all surfaces are dry and also make sure that all surfaces are "acetone/MEK/lacquerer thinner clean. 

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

I received two rolls of Maine Sail's butyl tape for a holiday present.  Sweet.  Should outlast me and the boat!
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

dbpaul

Well I would also like to thank Mainsheet ....when I was at Aerojet we made fixes to Apollo 14 using bytyl rubber.

Let's hope they keep making it available.

paulj

togve

The video was pulled because of an error in the spelling on the credits. I have changed the new address of the the same video.

Just one other point to make, Butyl works well but it works better under pressure which is why the top deck plate is needed among other reasons that I have documented on my other posts. Even butyl will let go from stainless steel when it's not compressed. Also the new chain plates do not move like the old ones. The old one can not be tightened enough to stop the micro movement which will eventually cause the butyl to let go.

You should not believe me but rather check out the literature on the use of butyl and why nothing sticks to stainless steel for very long.
Also I'll continue to report if any of the the chain plates start to leak. Next season Ill take pictures of the chain plates removed and see if any water penetrated under the top deck plate. If there is water it will show by leaving a mark and mold will have set it.

new link:      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO5_Yjqktr8
Cheers:

Les Luzar

Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA