Auto Helm 4000 Auto Pilot recalibration

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirk Garner

Thanks everybody for all the great advice. I will try cleaning, 'reseating' and if unsuccessful will then start shopping. Since I am solo 95% of the time (non-sailing spouse) this is not optional equipment!

You guys (and this site) are the best!

Kirk
Kirk Garner

Tom Soko

Kirk,
I second Dan's suggestion.  I used to have the 4000, and I had it apart a few times.  From memory, the trickiest part was getting the ribbon cable from the compass firmly seated in its socket.  Another promblem that I had, which was intermittant, was the power cord as it entered the plug.  It turned out to be a partially broken wire at the spot it entered the plug.  I took apart the plug, cut two inches off the wires, and re-attached them (can't remember if they are soldered or not - it was 10+ years ago).  It worked perfectly after that.  Hope this helps.
Tom Soko
"Juniper" C400 #307
Noank, CT

Hawk

I agree with Dan above. My 4000 has had intermitant occasions of loss of power or no response to the -10/+10 buttons etc...all of which have come back to poor connections.
I think it was Stu that said..."connections, connections" when it comes to electrical issues. That's been my experience.

Hawk
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

Kirk Garner

Thanks Hawk! Were the connections just loose or corroded or what?
Kirk Garner