Location of Official CG Documentation Number

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck.Philips

We just received our Coast Guard Documentation Certificate and now need to locate our "7-digit Official Number" in 3" letters "marked on some clearly visible interior structural part of the hull".  Does anyone have a suggestion as to the best location of these numbers? 

Thanks
Chuck
Chuck Philips
"Forever Young"
2005 Catalina 34--#1725--Anniversary Edition

Jim Hardesty

recommended to me was to get 3" vinyl numbers put them on the aft cabin starboard side wall, then epoxy one layer of fiberglass over them....I saw one that was done like this.  He masked off a rectangle around the numbers and used a minimum of epoxy.   It looked like it was always there.   Also use West System or similar so the surface cures and doesn't stay tacky.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ted Pounds

I used a router to engrave mine in a piece of oak.  Then epoxied it underneath the stairs in the aft cabin.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ken Juul

mine are painted on and epoxied over under the settee in the aft cabin.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Craig Illman

Mine were in the aft starboard lazarette and covered with resin.

Exodus

Ron Hill

I used a router on a piece of mahogany to engrave the numbers. 
Then the mahogany is epoxy-ed to the inside of the starboard side of the hull under the small aft cabin cutout.
Ron, Apache #788

chuck53

Mine are underneath the V-berth, but since it's so hard to access in case I get stopped, I'm going to put them in the aft cabin behind the seat back for quick and easy access.

awesome34

The previous owner of my boat created a wooden plaque with the number engraved and mounted it under the center drawer in the v-berth.

Kevin Henderson

My Documentation # is carved  into a board and epoxyed into the aft lazerette.  Makes it very accessible to see if you ever get stopped. 
Personally, I'm glad to have it there for it's ease of access and yet still concealed.  I'm not too wild about having large numbers on display in the cabin.... But thats me.  :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

DarthOccam

Ours are routed into a wooden board, painted and expoxyed into the port locker.  There's no obligation to have it visible all of the time.  (Which is just as well, since ours turned out pretty ugly.)

Since the port locker is also where we have the Marpol packards, the cheap foam PFDs, and the visual distress signal kit, it makes inspections easier.  The inspector doesn't have to go crawling into some dark recess of the hull.

[attach=#]
Michael DeCamp
Serenity, #1703
Channel Islands Harbor, CA

Ron Volk

Ours are routed on a board and mounted in the aft cabin.
Ron - GOOSE III - Hull 1235 - 1993
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA

Ralph Masters

All good ideas.  We just got our documentation from the Coast Guard as well so I've been reading this with interest.  Really think I'll use stick on numbers and varnish over on the inside of the port lazerret where the flares, life jackets and other safety equipment the coast guard will want to inspect are stored.  Kind of kill two birds with one stone idea.

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ron Hill

Guys : Where we all put our documentation numbers is very interisting.  But what really counts is where the USCG specifies they should be mounted !!

In mid 1980's the USCG specified the documentation numbers be "permanently affixed to the hull".       A thought
Ron, Apache #788

pablosgirl

Our CG Documentation number is painted and epoxied over on the hull under the port settee forward of the waste tank.
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP