nonmatching holes on new Oberdorfer

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

Sorry to be such a bother but took off the old Sherwood (which replaced the original Oberdorfer) and guess what...the holes do not line up. Yupper, moved the pump to check all 4 positions. By the way, what is the piece that comes off the engine in the upper left quadrant? The hose inlet and outflow properly face down and to the left and the plate lines up fine but not the holes!! is this typical on a pump made 21 years later?
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Stu Jackson

What model Oberdorfer pump did you buy?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Cliff : You should recall that I mentioned to you that the Oberdoffer pump you needed is a model 202M-15.  It is distinctive as it has 5 mounting holes of which only 4 are used on an M25XP engine!!

I believe that you are replacing your Sherwood - which as I recall only uses 2 or 3? mounting "clamps".   

So what you are going to have to do is to align the Oberdoffer holes with the existing engine block holes, then screw double ended threaded studs into those holes in the block to hold the Oberdoffer in place.  You may only have 2 or 3 holes that match ?  If that is so you might want to drill and tap the engine block for another hole or two. Your choice

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

crieders

Yes, I have the right one. But only 1 hole matches altho the others are close. The original pump on that boat was an Oberdorfer and the Sherwood went on later...so this pump should align with the existing holes on the block of which their are 4 just like the original Oberdorfer was screwed into. By the way what is the part that protrudes on the left upper side of the engine block adjacent to the pump body and makes it difficult to adjust the pump body on the engine block?

Stu Jackson

Cliff, the only picture I can quickly link to is this one from the "Critical Upgrades" topic:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5078.msg31322.html#msg31322

The "bump" to the left of the pump may be what you are referring to.  It is a cover to a bolt.  You can back it off and get clearance.

Sometimes a picture is worth a few words.  Maybe you can help us to help you with one or two to be more specific to the issue on your engine.

Hope this helps.

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Rick Johnson

Does it look something like this?
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Ron Hill

Cliff :  The holes should line up !?! 

My post above in "reply #2" is still valid !!
Ron, Apache #788

crieders

Yes Rick, it looks precisely like that. If I remove the screw on the upper left side, I cannot get the  bolt back on after the pump is in place. And even so, the screws do not all line up, only 2 of the 4.

Stu Jackson

Cliff, if you have the right pump, given your description it is hard to imagine it wouldn't fit.  That said, you say it doesn't, so my suggestion to give us some pictures might still help us to help you.  Do you have a digital camera?

Ken Juul

Rick
Nice clean engine!  Too many other projects, haven't got around to cleaning 21 years of use off mine.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

ken : What I've found works best is - don't let the engine get dirty!!
Ron, Apache #788

Rick Johnson

Ken, you know what they say, "a clean motor is a happy motor".  OK, they don't say that, but it does look nicer.

Cheers,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX