Question on Rocna anchor

Previous topic - Next topic

scotty

Thought I'd share a different conclusion.  I've kept my Rocna 15, which was probably made in China.  There are several reasons for this:  The testing showes it meets specs. The company states that no 15 Kg anchors went to the USA market.  The weld work on my anchor is superior to the Manson Supreme that I was considering (I almost went for the West Marine rebate change).  It fits better on my roller.  The most salient reason is that the anchor is not the weakest component in my settup - the line (1/2" three strand) is.  Just thought I'd point out that there is no one correct answer on this particular question.
Scotty

2ndwish

Scotty- While I can't disagree with your conclusion, I would point out that bending strength and breaking strength are two different things...
T

mainesail

Quote from: scotty on February 04, 2012, 10:36:32 PM
Thought I'd share a different conclusion.  I've kept my Rocna 15, which was probably made in China.  There are several reasons for this:  The testing showes it meets specs. The company states that no 15 Kg anchors went to the USA market.  The weld work on my anchor is superior to the Manson Supreme that I was considering (I almost went for the West Marine rebate change).  It fits better on my roller.  The most salient reason is that the anchor is not the weakest component in my settup - the line (1/2" three strand) is.  Just thought I'd point out that there is no one correct answer on this particular question.

I guess it all depends on what you consider to be "meets spec". The "spec" has been severely bastardized based on the DESIGNERS rather adamant rantings, for many years, that it "must be" 800 mpa steel and nothing else would suffice. They now claim 620 "meets spec"...

They also have never side loaded the anchor and have only conducted "head on" pull tests..

They also stuck West Marine with the warranty even when the Rocna warranty very, very clearly GUARANTEED the anchor "meets specifications". These specs were CLEARLY laid out by Peter Smith as 800 mpa. Rocna has not reimbursed WM for a single anchor throughout this debacle. WM is EATING THE COST and my local store has taken back four or five already. Had a Rocna 15 sitting on the floor the other day..
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

dbpaul

No matter which anchor...........
I think the most important thing is....... if you do not mouse the shackle pin on your anchor setup, I do not know how you can sleep at night :sleepy:

paulj      :think