#1 and #2 Batteries

Previous topic - Next topic

yonar

I have two batteries placed under settee adjacent to galley sink. One battery close to midship  one towards starboard side. How can I determine which one is Battery #1 which one is #2 connected to Perko switch in control panel?
Turk Yonar
1989 C34 Hull # 858
Tradewinds
Long Beach, CA

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Probably the easiest way is to disconnect the positive lead (red one) of one of the batteries and then see which switch position works and which one doesn't.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Lance Jones

I second Mike's post. That's how I determined mine.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ralph Masters

Ditto on Ciao Bella.  Put bat switch in position one, disconect one of the two battery leads and see if the lights go out.
The inboard battery on mine is battery number one.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Jim Hardesty

I would turn the battery switch to off, then disconnect one battery, then turn to #1 and/or #2, the one that lights the lights is the one thats still connected.  You get sparks if you disconnect the battery lead when it has a load.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ted Pounds

Once you figure it out mark the wires with permanent marker...
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Phil Spicer

I also marked the battery compartment wall & batteries "House" & "Starting" to help the boys when they are around to help....Spring & Fall.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Ron Hill

Turk : Use the instruments at hand!!

Like Mike said, disconnect one of the red battery leads and set the Perko switch on "1" . Then go to the instrument panel switch for "Volts" and turn it ON.  If you get a reading the connected battery is #1.

If no reading select Perko setting #2 and it should read as it's battery #2.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

yonar

Thank all of you very much. Great help.
Turk Yonar
1989 C34 Hull # 858
Tradewinds
Long Beach, CA